Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Default Remington 1903A3 bubba

I was out in Maysville KY today and there are several pawn shops I check on occasion while out that direction. Usually I find nothing but came across a Bubba Remington 1903 A3 today. All the parts are marked with the R, Looks like manufacturer date has it in late 1943.

The barrel does have the "P" on it but appears to have been shortened some. From the back of the tang of the receiver to the end of the barrel the length is 29 3/4"

The rifle came with a semi decent scope and old leather sling.
For $265 (talked them down) out the door I figured why not. I have been pondering an A4 clone build so this at least gives me a good start.

Bore is in somewhat decent shape and does appear to be original to the rifle as do all the other parts. Its a shame bubba had their way with the stock.

I know the CMP has stocks, and I am researching the other parts needed. Any good places to [ick up the parts to complete the build?

http://s1138.beta.photobucket.com/us...mington_1903A3

Last edited by aljkw; 02-27-2013 at 03:40 PM. Reason: fixed link for all the photos
Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 PM

You have an excellent start on a A4orgery. The 1903 trigger guard is worth more than the correct A4 TG and your safety and short barrel are worth something. You need a CMP C stock set, Criterion barrel, safety, sling swivels, bands and a Redfield base. You should be able to make the D&T receiver holes work. SSPORTERS should have some of the small parts. Good Shooting.......
Old 02-27-2013, 03:41 PM

fixed the link for all the photos. Should be able to see them all now VS just the one.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:13 PM

Wow, I'm not seeing the "Bubba." And if I did I'm sure he would wonder why his nicely crafted sporter was being returned back to its mil-spec condition. You could always enjoy it for what it is - just a thought.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:46 PM

I plan on sitting on it for a while and see how it shoots like it is. Then maybe start collecting the parts to make my clone.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:49 PM

I got a bubba with the idea of a clone and it was in such gpod shape I could get myself to drill it. so I just restored it instead.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:20 PM

What is a "bubba" Remington 1903? That is a very common and typical sporterized 1903 probably done in the 50's like hundreds of thousands were done after the war. Maybe more than that. I have two beautiful examples that my Father and Grandfather had made by a very good Gunsmith in the mid 1950's. One is a Remingtom M1903 and the other is a Springfield HN M1903. One is scoped with a Leupold 1 minute dot/fine crosshair 4X scope on it and the other has a Redfield, at the time high end, peep sight on it. They have high end Bishop stocks on them. I would estimate that each one has probably taken 100 deer or more over the years and both are excellent hunting rifles.

"Bubba" is when you saw the barrel off, cut down the military stock and paint the rifle with flat black. Sporterized military rifles are nothing more than rifles converted to civilian hunting or target use much the same as an AR-15 or any past military rifle ever converted. Would you call a Remington R-15 or R-25 a bubba version of an M-16?

Larry
Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 AM

Guess I struck a nerve... Maybe I should have titled it Bubbas Grandpa made a hunting rifle and Bubba pawned it when gramps went 6 feet under.

It was painted black all the way around. I think i will clean it all up and turn it into a nice rifle VS A4 clone.

I noticed an imprint on the I side of the stock which had me start to look at the barrel. It is stamped with a VA56 about 6 inches down the barrel from the receiver. Any ideas?

Last edited by aljkw; 03-01-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 AM

Don't worry about striking a nerve. Its just the term Bubba is derogatory and many of the spoterized surplus rifles are very nice hunting weapons that likely were converted by the same generation who packed them off to war. So while we praise that generation for fighting WWII, we too insult it by attacking these other artifacts of their lives. We also loose sight of the fact the rapidly disappearing population of sporterized rifles constitutes a cleansing of another important chapter in the history of 1903s and A3s - their post-war civilian use.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 AM

Is it painted or is it a hot blue finish? It doesn't look like paint to me in your pictures. Can't say what the VA56 stamp means.

Tags
remington 1903-a3