Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 10:18 AM

Default Comcast Xfinity or AT&T Uverse?

Hey guys, I have been with WOW for cable tv and internet for the last 13+ years and am moving to an area where I have xfinity and uverse as my only options. I know AT&T has the better price but I have heard bad things about both.

Any opinions on either (aside of customer service because I hear they both suck)

Thanks,

Matt
Old 07-05-2013, 10:24 AM

Customer service on both leaves tons to be desired. I've had AT&T for TV & internet for a bunch of years now, Uverse and all and I've been extremely pleased with the service. There are some areas where AT&T doesn't come in as well due to your "distance from the signal origin" so make sure you ask how close you are to the nearest origin point and how that will effect your service quality.

Can't speak as to how comcast is, but I've had Uverse for some time now and enjoy it.
A lot more channels for the $$ than I got with Charter.

General George S. Patton, in a letter to his son dated June 6th, 1944:
Quote:
"What success I have had results from the fact that I have always been certain that my military reactions were correct. Many people do not agree with me; they are wrong. The unerring jury of history written long after both of us are dead will prove me correct."
Old 07-05-2013, 10:54 AM

I have Uverse now for about two or three years after having Comcast for a similar amount of time. Yes customer service on both are horrendous, but I feel like I don't have to contact Uverse about issues rarely ever and they are more competent with solving problems than Comcast folks. The Uverse installers are great. It takes a long time for them to install but in my experience they are really nice guys and very professional. So my recommendation is for Uverse.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:03 AM

Comcast is a truly horrible entity. At our old house, we switched to Uverse as soon as it was available. We were right next to the source at it was absolutely the best cable and internet I have ever had. When we moved out to the sticks, our only options were comcast or satellite. ANYTHING is better than comcast, so we have Direct TV. Sadly, my only option for high speed internet is comcast. I can't even get DSL out here. I have nothing but problems with my internet.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

Google fiber is the new thing here in KCK's suppose to be warp speed, im sticking with Time Warner Cable only because i have cable split off to 12 TV's and for Google Fiber you need a 10$ a month box for each TV
Old 07-05-2013, 11:38 AM

Yeah, they both suck. At least try to compare the upload / download speeds of the two. Try to get input from neighbors on this, although many won't know. At least ask how things perform when the TV is on and multiple devices are online at same time.
May it rest in peace.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:52 PM

I had ATT Uverse TV for a month and it was fine (I dont watch much TV and if i got TV they gave me a 300$ gift card). I have had Uverse for my internet for a few years now. never have any problems. it's fast, reliable and doesnt seem to be affected by time of day at all.

I was on the 5 mb down, 1.5 mb up, but am now in the 12 mb down 2 mb up price point and it's great. I'm on the net almost all my waking hours at home in some fasion.

I do not torrent or do other large file sharing though. only netflix, xbox and PC gaming and general surfing with the occasional game download.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 PM

Damn...no clear cut winner! Thanks for the input. I had Uverse for about half a day and had WOW come back out the next day to reinstall their service. Supposedly uverse is better now but might still go with Comcast since the house currently has it.

Much appreciated.

Matt
Old 07-05-2013, 08:13 PM

Default Uverse works well if you are close to the RT (glass to copper handshake point)

The signal comes on glass and is muxed (VRAD) into an existing copper cable. The transmission from the RT to your house depends upon distance, cable gauge and condition of the copper cable. Grounding is essential and video quality lives or dies on grounding scheme (not your business, their's).

Comcast was originally built with Nodes that were designed for X number of customers. The more customers on a node the slower it gets. Xfinity is just Comcast with a different name. I have had comcast with so many customers that you couldn't use it.

Uverse when close to the RT, is as fast as it can get, TV is great and it rarely has issues. Almost all issues can be solved by simply unplugging the router and rebooting it.
Both companies could give a $hit less about customer service, but ATT is definitely the better of the two.

Yes I've worked for both companies and designed a lot of the systems.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:28 PM

Maybe someone can explain this for me, ATT says I can get u-verse internet but not television or phone. I thought it was all in one fiber optic cable.