Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 10:41 AM

Default Reloading HXP cases

Set up a new Hornady 06 die to 1x fired commercial case (Rem-Win) and set shoulder on resizer to the neck of the die from fired case to my 1903A3 blackening the shoulder of the case neck method.

Loaded 42 mixed commercial case, mix of Rem, Win, FC cases and 3 '72 HXP cases. Cases COL were fine below max COL.

Load was 48 gr IMR 4064 @ 2700 168 gr A Max

Tested the blackened cases in the 1903A3 action after they were re-sized without any stiffness.

The day @ the range, the commercial case were fine after being fired operating the bolt. The 3 HXP cases the bolt was a little stiff when lifted the primers were normal with no signs of pressure issues as the load is few grains below Max.

Is their such a differences between commercial 06 cases and HXP ? Anyone else experience this problem with HXP cases ?
Old 08-08-2013, 01:26 PM

There are differences between brass cases and those differences go beyond just the weight variation. I have set up a FL sizing die only to find out later that one group of brass came out fine but another would not chamber. Crank the FL die down a little bit extra the next time to catch everything in the bell shaped curve. Good Shooting......
Old 08-08-2013, 01:56 PM

As Ceresco pints out, this is not a problem. Just set your die to FL resize the cases (hard against the shell holder). Going through the blackened cases ritual for a military rifle is a waste of time.

I have not changed the adjustment on my .30-06 sizer in a couple of decades. I produce ammo for about 20 rifles, military rifles and commercial hunting rifles. The stuff I load with match bullets will shoot around an inch in most rifles, a bit better in some. Fine tuning completely unnecessary.
Satisfied shooter of low-number Springfields
Not on the payroll of any arms or ammunition companies
Old 08-08-2013, 06:01 PM

I set my full length sizing die about the thickness of a thin dime from touching the shell holder. Nothing scientific here. Just know the brass is not getting "worked" to the maximum. The reloaded rounds chamber in any of my Garands w/o any problems and the life of the cases is in excess of 20 loadings. I don't bother looking at headstamps or dates, everything is mixed brass. If I were shooting competition with a finely tuned bolt gun I be a lot more exacting in the reloads but the M1 is a service rifle and I think all the care in the world re reloading would not appreciably increase the accuracy of these firearms.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka108 View Post
I set my full length sizing die about the thickness of a thin dime from touching the shell holder. Nothing scientific here.
Your technique will work fine until the extractor rips the rim off a case and leaves it stuck in the chamber. It may not have happened yet, but it will. You will not find it easy to get the stuck case out. This is why Sierra recommends:

"Full length sizing is the only option in the Service Rifle world."

For the full article, go here:

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/re...sgunreload.cfm

I'm too dumb to do anything but follow directions. I have found that doubting the experts causes grief.
Satisfied shooter of low-number Springfields
Not on the payroll of any arms or ammunition companies
Old 08-09-2013, 11:28 AM

Once you "set" your die to size the brass a certain amount, that setting is only good for that lot of brass. Different brass sizes different.

Bill
Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 AM

Full size my 30-06 cases for both the Garand and 1903A4 since I shoot the same cases in both rifles. Have a mixed bag of cases as well and not issue in either rifle.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:00 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka108 View Post
I set my full length sizing die about the thickness of a thin dime from touching the shell holder. Nothing scientific here. Just know the brass is not getting "worked" to the maximum. The reloaded rounds chamber in any of my Garands w/o any problems and the life of the cases is in excess of 20 loadings. I don't bother looking at headstamps or dates, everything is mixed brass. If I were shooting competition with a finely tuned bolt gun I be a lot more exacting in the reloads but the M1 is a service rifle and I think all the care in the world re reloading would not appreciably increase the accuracy of these firearms.
You've said this before and I just have a tough time believing you actually get reliable feed from cases where you set you sizing die "the thickness of a thin dime" from the shell holder. IMHO that is a huge distance in the world of sizing. If I did that with my cases for my bolt guns I doubt they would chamber any better than some HXP does and very certainly much worse. Perhaps a couple of my Garands with new barrels might start ripping off rims as well or faile to feed. LOL...I love the term "over working brass". My feeling is that I would rather get a couple of fewer loadings out of the abundant amount of 30-06 brass I have, and have reliable feeding in all my rifles, than to try and not "over work" brass I have thousands of. Life is too short to adjust my sizing die for my individual rifles. That is much too anal in my world.

I have to completely agree with rcolarco. I set my sizing die using a lyman case gauge about 10 years ago. Basically the setting was low enough so the press has to cam over after the die contacts the shell holder. Since then, everything 30-06 I load fits both my commercial and my military rifles perfectly. Trying for a "perfect fit" is a waste of time IMHO. Almost all, if not all, die manufacturers recommend that setting for the sizing die as the average overall, best setting.

Larry
Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 AM

I have to completely agree with rcolarco. I set my sizing die using a lyman case gauge about 10 years ago. Basically the setting was low enough so the press has to cam over after the die contacts the shell holder. Since then, everything 30-06 I load fits both my commercial and my military rifles perfectly. Trying for a "perfect fit" is a waste of time IMHO. Almost all, if not all, die manufacturers recommend that setting for the sizing die as the average overall, best setting.

Larry[/QUOTE]

I've always set mine to cam over as well. Never had a problem. I have several rifles varying with new barrels to a lot of character and all function fine.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:17 AM

When forming metals, there's always some springback in the areas where the elastic limit hasn't been exceeded. In sizing cases, the commercial cases may be a bit softer/thinner while the HPX a little harder which results in different results after sizing, as 22shooter pointed out. It a good practice, IMHO, to segregate batches of cases by manufacturer and weight for consistent results.

That said, as most these guys have said, especially with mixed cases, set your die down some. 1/4 turn should do it.

Blackening the shoulder to set your die is one method of determining minimum sizing but you do have to set the shoulder back a couple thousandths. I do all that crazy "accuracy improving" stuff on my 1903A3 for cast bullet shooting and service rifles can be quite accurate. The current 100 yard record is something like 0.20" but realistically, I'm happy with 1.5" groups and, as rcolarco said, most of it is probably a waste of time. Even bench shooting, the nut behind the trigger has the most effect on accuracy.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.