Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > Parts For Sale or Trade > Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 12:54 AM

Default WTS: British Martini Henry Mk.II Smoothbore (1876) Antique No FFL

DESCRIPTION
Offering for sale an attractive Martini Henry Mk.II rifle, which was arsenal converted to a smoothbore for police duty in India sometime between the two world wars. It is authentic British manufacture by Enfield in Merry Old England circa 1876, not a Khyber Pass Special or Nepalese relic. Rear sight has also been modified to a simple notch rear sight, otherwise the configuration is standard issue Mk.II complete with cleaning rod.

The official designation for the converted shotgun cartridge was the .577/476 Smoothbore, which had ballistics similar to a .410. Colonial police also employed a riot load with three .45 caliber round balls, which would be pretty impressive at short distances. The bore on this one measures closer to .460" to .462" which creates a lot of possibilities if you want to play with this one. Modern shooters typically just use a standard .577/450 M-H cartridge loaded with shot (or anything else you can stuff in the case) between a couple of cardboard wads. Another option would be to reline the barrel to standard .458" rifled bore and use original M-H cases, or even convert to a .45-70 or other cartridge.

This example has matching serial numbers on the receiver and barrel, along with several other proof marks and stamps on the barrel. The wood is very solid and has a nice even patina throughout, with no visible stamps. The butt stock has a very well executed repair on the toe, using a brass pin. The wood grain matches very well so the repair line is barely noticeable. The forend is nice and tight, and mercifully free of any cracks or other damage. Metal finish has traces of blue with smooth brown patina throughout. No rust or deep pitting, and is surprisingly clean under the wood line.

Here's a little more information on shooting the M-H Smoothbore http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/reply/97396

PRICE
Price is $375 including shipping to the Lower 48. First one to post here with an unconditional "I'll Take It" followed by a PM to the Seller wins the prize. This is an Antique made before 1898 so can ship directly to the buyer, unless otherwise prohibited by state or local laws. Payment by USPS Money Order only. For details, see Terms and Conditions below.

Cheers,
Peconga in Boise, Idaho

ABOUT ME
I am a private collector who has been using the same alias ("Peconga") for many years on different gun collector forums and auction sites (including Gunbroker, Auctionarms, eBay) all with 100% positive feedback. Feel free to check my feedback for yourself.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. The first unconditional "I'll Take It" posted here trumps all conditional postings, PMs, and email messages.
2. Posting "I'll Take It" must be followed within TWO (2) HOURS by a PM or email with your full name, address and email address to confirm.
3. If you have questions, please send me a PM or email, however this does not put you first in line for the item.
4. Payment by U.S. Postal Money Order only; No other forms of payment will be accepted, including PayPal, credit cards, checks, or money orders from any other source.
5. Payment must be received within seven (7) days, or the item will be re-listed and a pox will be visited upon you and your tribe.
6. Items will be shipped by UPS Ground or USPS Priority Mail with insurance and delivery tracking; please specify if you have a preference.
7. Shipping included to the Lower 48 states only; Hawaii or Alaska may cost more (please inquire).
8. Item(s) are sold in "As Is" condition. All sales are final, no returns or refunds. No guarantees implied or expressed.
That's enough fine print for one day...

More than 40 positive feedback ratings before the iTrader system got shut down. Really. Honest. Me.