Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 02:53 PM

Does anybody know the specifics of the "out of spec areas" , And how the tolerances differ ?.... I keep hearing about the CAI's being "out of Spec" But I cant find any specific information. But i do hear a lot of stories,...
Old 08-26-2013, 02:59 PM

Seems to be the receiver tarck. If you google "CAI garand failures " or " CAI Garand problems" you will have plenty of reading
Old 08-26-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Seems to be the receiver tarck. If you google "CAI garand failures " or " CAI Garand problems" you will have plenty of reading
True indeed,... But it will be tempered with a lot of conjecture and self proclaimed gunsmiths/experts,... I feel the knowledge here on the CMP Forum is more reliable..... But it's still a good suggestion. So I'll see what's out there.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:47 PM

You wont find as much experience with CAI Garands on the CMP forum as for the most part guys here either bought or are buying CMP rifles
If you google it you will find first hand experience of issues, not catastrophic failures of some receivers
Again if you search you can find contact info for Gus Fischer who is a retired armorer who now gunsmiths Garands. Ask him what he thinks about them, he has handled and worked on enough of them

Last edited by Orlando; 08-26-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:33 PM

Gus has his own posts on M14FORUM.COM
Here is link to what Gus Fisher thinks about CAI receivers

http://m14forum.com/m1-garand-accura...ed-barrel.html

Last edited by normannewguy; 08-26-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by normannewguy View Post
Gus has his own posts on M14FORUM.COM
Here is link to what Gus Fisher thinks about CAI receivers

http://m14forum.com/m1-garand-accura...ed-barrel.html
Well, that's pretty clear, isn't it?

L
Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane1 View Post
I bought one awhile back. Just because it had a SA over NFR stock set with matching handguards. Paid $450.00 I think the stock set alone is worth half that. Shoots just fine. I think RUGER manufactured the cast receivers for CAI. Look closely at the right receiver leg. You will see a pinetree in a circle. Pinetree is Bill Rugers other company. I think.
If Pinetree is a Ruger Co and they produced CAI Garand receivers, no wonder no one ever heard of them.

Larry
Old 08-29-2013, 06:46 PM

Fair enough, we have one very noteworthy descending opinion,... But still no real proof of failures, Absolutely no disrespect meant to anybody,... But again were getting into stories and opinions..... I would still like to see actual first hand reports of failures... (please don't get me wrong, I am no fan of CAI Receivers, and most certainly prefer any USGI parts over aftermarket parts any day of the week)

The one I am working on is very suspect, and although I cant see any cracks or failed areas in the CAI Receiver in question, I am taking it to a my engine builder buddy to have it magnafluxed sometime next week,.... I'll let you know how that turns out.

I have looked on the internet, and have only found at best, second hand stories of failures, The only first hand stories I can find have to do with derailing op rods....

This thread isn't scientific in any way,.... Just trying to find out if the CAI M1 Garand receivers are truly the junk they are sometimes reported to be. Or if they are getting a undeserved bad wrap..... (Not trying to start a ruckus )

Just curious guys.

Last edited by Harms Way; 08-29-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:49 PM

The deal is not failures per se. It was function problems due to bad forgings and rough or just plain bad finish machining. Plus rapid wear in critical areas. When you get one, it's a crap shoot.

L
Old 08-29-2013, 07:13 PM

Geeze what more do you want? Did you do a internet search as I suggested?? Plenty of first hand accounts .
Again, I have never heard of any stories of catastrophic failures only out of spec receivers that cause malfunctions etc
Sounds to me you arent getting the answers you want so you keep asking until you get what you want to hear

Last edited by Orlando; 08-29-2013 at 07:22 PM.