Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 AM

Default Mauser Broomhandle firing pin removal

I'm appealing to the collective knowledge here once again.

I picked up a Broomhandle Mauser recently, and have been thwarted in my attempts to detail strip and clean it. Along with You Tube videos and some random websites, I've been using the detail strip instructions on the old Surplus Rifle forum, here:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/pistolc9...e/disassemble/

However, when I get to step 18, removing the firing pin, I can't seem to get it out. One issue is the screw slot is buggered, but with a little manipulation it still works. However, once I rotate it and the firing pin pops out, I can't remove it from the gun.

The instructions say:

Quote:
NOTE: Some older models have a firing pin retainer that used a flat plate. The plate is dovetailed and can be released by pushing the firing pin inward to release the spring pressure on the plate and then slide the plate upward.
But I can't see the plate at all, nor can I picture anything holding it in.

Does anyone have a drawing, photo, or video of the firing pin removal that shows this "complication?"

Thanks,

Dave
Old 08-27-2013, 03:06 PM

Only the early C96 bolts had the firing pin retainer. It fits into the recess at the top rear of the bolt as shown

Later bolts did not have the retainer

Old 08-27-2013, 08:29 PM

Early/late can mostly be determined by the length of the extractor.........long being early. Is the firing pin coming out as far as the spring???

I have a 1930 Commercial, recent Chinese commercial & Schnellfuer that I can experiment with if you havent gotten it out yet.

PJH

Last edited by heckinohio; 08-27-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckinohio View Post
When the firing pin does start out of the bolt, is the spring coming with it???

I have a 1930 Commercial, recent Chinese commercial & Schnellfuer that I can experiment with if you havent gotten it out yet.

PJH
I can't tell, it only comes out about 1/8", maybe less. I tried gently pulling it out with some needle nose pliers, but didn't want to muck it up, so I gave up.

If I pull back and release the bolt, it works it's way outward, but always stops in the same spot...

I'll try to snap a few photos; the gun actually looks pretty decent, overall, but the screw slot in the firing pin is pretty messed up.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:32 PM

Here's a couple photos, this is as far as it'll come out:

Old 08-28-2013, 02:36 AM

The bolt does not have a firing pin retainer, so the firing pin should just pop out. If it doesn't it might be gunked up by grease or there might be a burr on it. Try applying heat with a blow dryer while you try to pull it out with pliers. You could also try Kroil or any penetrating oil.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp Collector View Post
The bolt does not have a firing pin retainer, so the firing pin should just pop out. If it doesn't it might be gunked up by grease or there might be a burr on it. Try applying heat with a blow dryer while you try to pull it out with pliers. You could also try Kroil or any penetrating oil.
I'll give that a shot, thanks.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp Collector View Post
That did it, thanks. A combination of 100 year old grease and a bent spring was holding it in place.

A bit of heat and a bit of force and I got it out. Gonna replace the springs anyway (they're pretty worn), and clean it up proper.