Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Orest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 11:18 AM

Default Obama exec order to stop M1 imports.

Orest:

How will the CMP manage future affairs in light of the announcement published by the NSSF today:

"NO M-1s FOR YOU ANY MORE, WEAPONS OF WAR AND ALL THAT . . . The Obama administration has decided officially that 60-year-old semi-automatic rifles, the legendary M-1 Garands and M-1 Carbines of World War II lineage that had been formerly used by our allies and are now sitting in overseas warehouses, can no longer be re-imported into the U.S. for purchase by collectors and target shooters. In issuing a new executive order, a long-standing practice administered by the Civilian Marksmanship Program and created by Congress comes to an end. Though the U.S. has approved 250,000 of these rifles for reimportation since 2005, under the new policy only museums and a few other entities such as the government will be eligible to reimport military-grade firearms."

This seems like the end?
Old 09-04-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ballcane View Post
Orest:

How will the CMP manage future affairs in light of the announcement published by the NSSF today:

"NO M-1s FOR YOU ANY MORE, WEAPONS OF WAR AND ALL THAT . . . The Obama administration has decided officially that 60-year-old semi-automatic rifles, the legendary M-1 Garands and M-1 Carbines of World War II lineage that had been formerly used by our allies and are now sitting in overseas warehouses, can no longer be re-imported into the U.S. for purchase by collectors and target shooters. In issuing a new executive order, a long-standing practice administered by the Civilian Marksmanship Program and created by Congress comes to an end. Though the U.S. has approved 250,000 of these rifles for reimportation since 2005, under the new policy only museums and a few other entities such as the government will be eligible to reimport military-grade firearms."

This seems like the end?
Not again.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:23 AM

I think this is different from the Hilliary's move; an exec order is pretty final.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I think this is different from the Hilliary's move; an exec order is pretty final.
It only pertains to you folks in Mass.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 09-04-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Orest:

This seems like the end?
This has been beaten to death. You need to use the search function to see all the threads and comments that have already been posted on this matter. No need to cover the same ground again here.

Last edited by Oldvetteman; 09-04-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-04-2013, 12:27 PM

Default Until

Quote:
It is final until the next president decides it isn't final. Clinton did a bunch of ex orders that bush nixed.

John Wayne in "Shootist"
Old 09-05-2013, 07:54 AM
CMP Board Member

I expect NSSF will send a more accurate message next week. The current presidential action has no impact on CMP.