Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Orest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Banned

Default CMP 1903A3 stocks

Just assembled my '03a3 action to a new CMP stock, A completely drop it job, just had to apply the BLO finish. Really nice grain and fit. Thanks!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin601 View Post
Just assembled my '03a3 action to a new CMP stock, A completely drop it job, just had to apply the BLO finish. Really nice grain and fit. Thanks!!!
FWIW, if you haven't inletted one of these before, be sure you have clearance aft of the rear tang.

I remain, as ever, a legend in my own mind . . .

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .
Old 11-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Banned

I was surprised, it was clearance for the tang as well.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:10 PM

I got one of the last ones out of e-store a week or two ago as well. I really wish the CMP would continue selling these out of e-store.

My understanding is there were too many returns. If that's the truth, what a shame. A "vocal" inept minority once again directs the way we all go. Seems to be worse than a plague in this country.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Banned

Yeah, I bought 2 stocks a couple years ago and had to do a little trimming, nothing that a chisel or a dremel could not handle, this one, no trimming at all, just BLO. All my 03's have CMP stocks now and all have a relief cut at the tang so I am set.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3StrikesNC View Post
I got one of the last ones out of e-store a week or two ago as well. I really wish the CMP would continue selling these out of e-store.

My understanding is there were too many returns. If that's the truth, what a shame. A "vocal" inept minority once again directs the way we all go. Seems to be worse than a plague in this country.
Yep, they drop right in, have plenty of clearance at the tang, and a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap between the forend tip and the barrel. Sure looks good.

Unfortunately, the only way to get decent accuracy (less than 2 MOA) is to spend hours re-inletting the action or put a washer under the tang, which has been ruled as illegal for CMP match use.

Many folks with a lot of experience with these rifles have tried multiple CMP stocks trying to get to fit like a USGI stock. It isn't happening.

And absolutely no reason to be calling people "inept". Chances are they know quite a bit more than you do about what it takes to make a 1903 / A3 shoot.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:05 PM

Chances not.

Sorry you took offense.

I'm on #3 CMP A3 Stock in the past few years. We can trade scores/standings if you want to go there.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3StrikesNC View Post
Chances not.

Sorry you took offense.

I'm on #3 CMP A3 Stock in the past few years. We can trade scores/standings if you want to go there.
On my 3rd. After a lot of work, the first 2, a 1903 and a 1903A3, both have about 6-9# pressure forend-to-barrel.

What kind of pressure did you get with your "drop-in" installation?

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Last edited by Dollar Bill; 11-04-2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Removed violation of CMP forum rules.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:14 PM
Banned

I am the one who said "drop in", have not shot it yet, so I don't if it will need adjustment or if it is good to go. Sorry you had probs with yours, could be I got a 1 in a 1000

Also, if you have a newer stock the lower barrel channel was routed out differently, so there is less force bearing on the barrel.

Last edited by Paladin601; 11-03-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin601 View Post
I am the one who said "drop in", have not shot it yet, so I don't if it will need adjustment or if it is good to go. Sorry you had probs with yours, could be I got a 1 in a 1000

Also, if you have a newer stock the lower barrel channel was routed out differently, so there is less force bearing on the barrel.
I fit the first, a 1903A3 stock and had the gap at the forend issue. Later, I bought one for a 1932 1903 and had a HS44 barrel installed. Same issue. Contacted the CMP and they told me this was normal with those stocks and to shoot it, tightening the stock screws every 5 shots until everything seated correctly. That didn't work. Researching stock fit, the GI manual states there should be about 5# pressure on the forend tip. Match rifles are fit for more pressure, up to 10# for best accuracy.

Checking with some experienced 1903 gunsmiths, several have had a lot of the same problems with these stocks and will no longer take on jobs fitting them because most folks buying a drop-in stock, as these are advertised, don't want to spend hundreds of dollar getting them to fit correctly.

I did accuracy testing using handloads using the Nosler 168 bullet with 48 gr of 4064. The 1903A3/NOS HS 44 2 groove barrel, with the stock as received, handguard clamping the barrel to the forend, accuracy ran in the 3-4MOA range. Installing a washer under the tang, as my Greek 1903 was received, to achieve positive forend pressure, groups shrank to the 2-3 MOA range. Installing a thicker washer which gave me about 8# pressure, the rifle delivers consistent 1.5MOA groups.

I then did the same to the 1903 and that rifle, with a NOS 44 HS 4 groove barrel, dialed right in with about 6# pressure.

The A3 took a lot of work to get it bedded so the tang washer is no longer needed. Now it's legal for CMP matches. The 1903 I'm leaving as-is as it's set up for CBA shooting with a Lyman 48S and Lyman 17A up front.