Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2013, 10:19 PM

Default M2 Carbine Value

Haven't really paid much attention over the years; but have always liked and wanted a carbine. What do M2's go for - original condition? I know this is kind of vague due to condition, maker etc. Info I don't have right now.

I heard of one that came from the National guard when they switched over to M-16's in the '60s. It was unfired still in cosmoline when aquired. I know it is all original and has several hundred rounds thru it. Not mint, but very good unmolested condition.

Never thought of owning one, because of the red tape and hassle; but if this one comes available I thought it might be worth it...or is it?

Any thoughts from experienced persons is welcomed.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:02 PM

Uhm, without tying to be a smart donkey but its value in prison time and fines would be determined on which potential felonies you might be charged with. Please forgive me if I am reading this wrong but it sounds like this is a FA M2 carbine that cannot have the tax stamp paperwork making it transferable because, and this maybe a bigger issue, it was unlawfully transferred out of government service (National Guard) service. Okay read into that stolen?
If the rifle was a M1 and not stamped M2 it would be possible to remove the controlled FA parts and destroy them or turn them over to a LE organization. If it is stamped m2 and no way to get a tax stamp it is taboo, but again a much bigger problem appears that it was unlawfully removed from Federal Service which is a bigger headache that only builds on the tax stamp issue.
There were apparently a lot of carbines of all types transferred from National Guard service to state police and other local LEO use in the 70s and early 80s. From what I gather some of these rifles ended up going home with individual officers which is why apparently there are so many FA carbines floating around either stamped m2 or m1 with the parts installed.
Unless the silly thing has a legitimate BATFE Treasury tax stamp run away very fast and do not look back.
If I have misunderstood any part of your story please forgive me but this thing just seems like bad medicine on two separate issues

Last edited by catsnguns; 11-28-2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: I cannot type
Old 11-28-2013, 11:44 PM

A buddy of mine has a couple and he figures they're worth $8-10k. I was just looking at them this week and they are pretty sweet. Wished I could have fired them. I was lucky enough to be able to shoot a Thompson, Uzi, and M16 though. Only bad part is it costs $5-10 bucks a second to shoot them these days.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:50 AM

Catsnguns,
thanks for the reply. I know this rifle and am positive that it was transferred legally and has all the correct documentation now for the current owner. Is it possible for someone else to purchase this -or- since it is a legitimate M2, would that be impossible now a days? I know things are very touchy around these lines.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:44 AM

It's not a huge hassle to own a transferable, but the wait time is horrible. 8 months or more. If it's an original m2 transferable......original meaning late inland or Winchester and the serial number is in the m2 range, then it may be considered c&r. If that's the case, then it will bring over 10k.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:51 AM

Have the seller provide you copies of all records obtained from ATF for the SN under the FOIA

Old 11-29-2013, 07:55 AM

there's an article in the TSRA journal this month covering the purchase/ownership thing - interesting twists. Value... now or later... there are no more coming into "our" system. The price/value can go nowhere but up. Good addition to anyone's " 401-G " A few years ago they could be had for four or five thousand dollars. Only monkey that could get in the works is if we get a pres. who decides to allow imports and/or new manufacture of MGs.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meplat View Post
Have the seller provide you copies of all records obtained from ATF for the SN under the FOIA

Yeah, should be able to at least see the form 3 or 4 with attached tax stamp, with the matching serial number. If it's a small number, less than 7 digits or doesn't match the serial number of the gun, then you'd need to look at a trigger group or select fire piece that was registered. Mine is just a trip lever, and it's only two letters and two numbers.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:33 AM

Look at this web site; http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/

That ought to give you a decent guideline. Fully transferable and complete the most valuable, and transferable trigger groups are the least. If you get in to the nuances of post `86 guns, Dealer samples, etc., then prices go down accordingly. I would think a new, never issued and all-correct M2 carbine would be north of $10,000. NFA guns tent to fluctuate in price with the ups and downs of the stock market. In 2008, they went down quite a bit. Now, they're going up again. Look at the charts and that will bear that out. You can also look at some of the boards, such as www.subguns.com to get a feel for current offering prices.

Does that help?
Old 11-29-2013, 08:48 AM

The last M2 I saw at a Gun Show , was a few years back and the seller was asking around 8G at the time!!!!!