Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 AM

Default Winchester Garand Stock Identification

Hoping someone can tell me how to identify a Winchester Garand stock. Excuse my ignorance, new to this, and don't want to get ripped off. I have done several searches and it appears to me to not be clear?

Thank you.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to jbassmaster18

There are a few ways to tell a Winchester Garand stock. First and easiest way to tell is the typical winchester "swell" that is in the trigger guard area see pic and look closely at the area fron the grip to the base of the trigger group. SA stocks are straight through here WRA's have a slight angle down known to some as the "swell":

Both of these are WRA stocks above.

Second way to tell is the area where the triggerguard locks into place. SA's are usually flat, and WRA's have a "V" notch. See below again both WRA stocks:

Also there will usually be some kind of letter code underneath the stock ferrule, and the circle P will be right up next to the "V" notch. Hope this helps.

Jonathan
Old 03-31-2010, 10:22 AM

http://www.trfindley.com/pgm1stkid.html
Old 03-31-2010, 11:23 AM

Thank you for your help,

Greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:53 AM

Question Fake or Real WRA Stock ???

I just got (for my CMP WRA SG) what appears to be a USGI Walnut WRA stock. I believe this because it has the more pronounced circumfrance at the pistol grip area, the V-notch trigger area slot, and it is marked 229 on the front end.

The only thing that tells me it might be a fake is that it does not have any "stamps" (cartouche?) anywhere at all. No "P" of any kind, circled or not, serif or not ... nothing.

Could it still be a REAL WRA stock? Any way to detect, DEFINITIVELY, if it is a fake?

Old 03-31-2010, 03:09 PM

Sounds a lot like one. Post pics of the top of the barrel channel, the bottom of the trigger guard area, and a side shot. Yes it could be one without stamps. A lot of times the markings were removed during sandings that were meant to remove dings, dents or other unwanted characteristics. The orignal inspector/proof markings were only meant to show that the complete rifle passed initial inspection. After that the stocks could have been switched by anyone at anytime and worked on and then re-worked. Many times over. In fact, sometimes the trooper removed them to "pretty up" the stock.