Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 06:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Aladinbama
Default Myths I read here about Tom's 1/3 Mix

Hey everybody, I just checked in here to see what was being said about my product. With my real job, I haven't been able to get around and see what people are saying like I should so when I came in today and saw what was being said I was completely floored.
Tom's 1/3 Mix will not waterproof your stock (the pine tar mix will, but ...). It (or gunny paste) was never originally used to waterproof a wood stock, it was used to help stabilze the wood and help to keep water from being absorbed. Wood does absorb moisture, BLO (or PTO) treated wood absorbs less, and Oiled wood topped with Tom's 1/3 Mix will absorb even less. The idea behind it is to stabilize the wood. If you want it sealed and waterproofed, use a poly coat, but poof - there goes the value.
Myth: once you apply Tom's 1/3 Mix you can't apply any oil over the top of it. REALITY, the amazing thing I've found about this mix is that you can use a 50/50 solution of either PTO or BLO and Turpentine (I've heard that mineral spirits works as well) and the oil will be absorbed by the wood. The solvent softens or cuts the wax and the oil/solvent is then absorbed into the wood. Of course once you do this you will need to re-apply the Tom's Mix.
The fact is that most of the people who are cutting Tom's 1/3 Mixes have never used them. They don't know what you can and can't do with Tom's mixes.
The best thing, they are as close to what was used in "the day" as you will find anywhere in the world today, thus allowing you to use them without "changing" the stock on your favorite (oiled stocked) firearm.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at aladinbama@aol.com.

Home of Tom's 1/3 Mix
www.thegunstockdoctor.com
Old 02-08-2014, 06:37 PM

Tom, I will say this. I have an early Inland I cut stock that someone had lightly sanded on one side, removed very little wood, but they did remove the patina off of it. Stock just looked dead. Using a bit of tru oil, raw linseed oil, and your product, a little experimentation, and it came out much better than what I could have imagined. Stock looks proper now, and I am happy with it.

Last edited by 6kidsdad; 02-08-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:11 PM

Just Like I was being called the Stock Doctor for my repairs on Stocks for almost 20 years now on the forums and Tom took that name. I will also say I never use a product that has wax in it for the simple reason once it is on the wood it stays. It has its purpose and works well most of the time but I have seen some bad like with anything I guess, I have also had to attempt to redo a few stocks after a customer used products with wax and Nothing except sanding took the wax away in order for me to be able to fix them. Rick B,, A.K.A. Stock Doc
Old 02-08-2014, 07:14 PM

I love Tom's 1/3 mix. I tried it first several years ago and I'm hooked on it. If I redo a stock it always gets finished off with a couple coats of Toms mix. I've never had anything but exceptional results. Which reminds me, I'm almost out and need to order a couple more cans of it.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:44 PM

If wax was a great idea for military stocks, then one would think the us army would have found a way to issue it to the troops at some point in the long interval when wood stocks were issued.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:53 PM

Many like Tom's wax and swear by it.
I tried Gunnys Paste and it just didnt do anything for me, I never did use the rest that was in the can
Old 02-08-2014, 08:29 PM

Default Tom's 1/3 mix

I use it. Most of the guy's around here do. We like it. I think it will protect

better than linseed. The guys on thw other military rile site's like it. Yes

there are other military rifle than the M1. Tom sends it out quick its cheap

and goes a long way. Its the same old Gunny's paste.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Aladinbama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
Just Like I was being called the Stock Doctor for my repairs on Stocks for almost 20 years now on the forums and Tom took that name. I will also say I never use a product that has wax in it for the simple reason once it is on the wood it stays. It has its purpose and works well most of the time but I have seen some bad like with anything I guess, I have also had to attempt to redo a few stocks after a customer used products with wax and Nothing except sanding took the wax away in order for me to be able to fix them. Rick B,, A.K.A. Stock Doc
Sorry Rick, never intended on stealing a name. I guess just like you people began calling me the gunstock doctor due to my knowledge of such. Besides, you can be the stock doctor; I'll be the gunstock doctor. After all, it's only the name I chose for my business My real name is Thomas.
Contrary to your belief, Tom's 1/3 Mix can be completely removed from the wood, easily. I'd be more than happy to demonstrate it for you if you so desire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by togor View Post
If wax was a great idea for military stocks, then one would think the us army would have found a way to issue it to the troops at some point in the long interval when wood stocks were issued.
togor, ever hear of Gunny Paste? It may not have been "issued", but it was recommended and readily used.

Last edited by Aladinbama; 02-08-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:03 PM

Default Tom's 1/3 mix

I see lots of guys reply" The military knew Best". After serving in the military and working for them for 40 years, I would I have to think long on that one.
I could tell stories that would leave you shaking your head.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Banned

Good Stuff Tom, Also, made up a batch of your stock cleaner, that really cuts the grease off these old stocks, any leaves them a nice color, too.
Closed Thread