Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 12:59 PM

Default m-14/m-1A scope mount advice

Does anyone have any experience with putting a scope on their m-14? I did a quick google search and found many options at different prices for the scope mounts. Are there any that I should stay away from? Any better ones that I should consider? Thanks
Old 03-24-2014, 03:23 PM

I see folks complain about Springfield Armory mounts now-and-again (although other folks say they're fine).

The ones that seem to satisfy everyone are the Bassett mounts and derivatives (SEI and Sadlak). I have the SEI "2006" scope mount and it works quite well, but I'll probably buy the Sadlak next time around.

Sadlak hangs out on the two M14 forums and seem to bend over backwards to "make it right" if you run into an issue.

HTH.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:32 PM

Some receivers may be problematic getting the some M14 mounts secured and allow scopes to be zeroed properly. I also would recommend viewing scope mounts thread over on M14 forum.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW56 View Post
Some receivers may be problematic getting the some M14 mounts secured and allow scopes to be zeroed properly. I also would recommend viewing scope mounts thread over on M14 forum.
Yup, and this is where Sadlak customer service kicks in. They can custom-fit a scope mount to your out-of-spec receiver. Thumbs-up for that.

(edit to add) FWIW, I'm not affiliated with them, I don't even have one of their mounts (yet). Do have a handful of their other small parts, though.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:39 PM

About a cheap as you can go and still get good service is the Swan ARMS #18. It's low profile and some scopes will require you to shorten the rear aperture so it does not hit the scope. Most of the Brookfield copy's like Smith and Sadlak are very nice but cost more and do sit higher so you'll most likely find you'll need a cheek pad to shoot the rifle well. Do yourself a favor and stay away from any of the cheap mounts. Some will work if you only shoot the rifle a few times but in the end they will let you down. I include all of the Springfield Inc. mounts in the cheap list. Two point mounts are not the best choice, if you can afford it get a three point mount.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:40 AM

Gotta agree with the recommendation of the Sadlak mount. I have used a bunch of different mfgs over the years and theirs seems to work the best. In recent times, I have decided that all of my scoped M-14 type rifles will be either the LRB M25 or JRA M21DMR that have integral scope mounts on the receiver. They don't get any more stable than that.

Semper Fi
Art

Last edited by nf1e; 03-25-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:47 AM

Generally speaking, the receivers that are most often problematic when it comes to installing a scope mount are those made by Springfield.
Bassett mounts are relatively inexpensive, simple and work. I have one and it works. Those would be my first choice, then I would would go with Sadlak.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:25 PM

If don't plan on ever taking it off, I would go with one of the Brookfield style mounts (SEI or Sadlak) if you are going to want to remove it from time to time, get a basset. The Basset is super easy to take off and on, takes seconds, and holds zero pretty good.

Last edited by mtime7; 03-25-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:41 AM

Two very experienced M14 operators nf1e and wrwindsor are giving you great advice and you can't go wrong with a Sadlak mount.

I've had a S+K mount on my M1a for 23 years and it works like a champ.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:27 PM

http://blog.gunspec.com/gear/m14m1a-...ats-out-there/