Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 04:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to JakeM
Default Naval Jelly?

I just finished cleaning my 1903a3 receiver with Naval Jelly and it looks like I just Parkerized it. Why does this solution make the receiver look like this? I was cleaning it first with this and then on to degreaser in prep to coat the receiver with Duracoat. But darn I wish I could oil it and run it as is, it is the color I am after.

Kansas

Feedback Link.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ighlight=JakeM
Old 05-09-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
I just finished cleaning my 1903a3 receiver with Naval Jelly and it looks like I just Parkerized it. Why does this solution make the receiver look like this?
Naval jelly is phosphoric acid. Parkerizing is a phosphoric acid-based conversion coating.

Quote:
Parkerizing, bonderizing, phosphating, or phosphatizing is a method of protecting a steel surface from corrosion and increasing its resistance to wear through the application of an electrochemical phosphate conversion coating. Parkerizing is usually considered to be an improved zinc or manganese phosphating process, and not to be an improved iron phosphating process, although some use the term parkerizing as a generic term for applying phosphating (or phosphatizing) coatings that does include the iron phosphating process.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to JakeM

I thought Naval Jelly took the metal to bare surface and then rust will start without a protective coating like Duracoat. Or even better a true parkerized surface or bluing to provide the best corrosion resistance. Oh well it sure looks good as it sits.

Kansas

Feedback Link.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ighlight=JakeM
Old 05-09-2014, 07:36 PM

I used navel jelly to remove the blueing from a BP pistol years ago and never applied another finish only put oil on it occasionally. It has never rusted.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:24 AM

I don't think the park does the protecting. It holds the oil which protects.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=131198
Old 05-10-2014, 12:35 AM

Exclamation

Naval Jelly removes bluing because bluing is a form of corrosion, or, essentially, rust. Naval jelly doesn not remove Parkerizing unless it's left on for a very long time and can actually mimic Parkerizing on some steel but....not really.

The best way to strip Parkerizing is in a bath of Muriatic Acid. It's pretty much strips it to the bare metal in about a 10-15 minute soak. But, if there's rust or grease residue or on the metal surface, it will not strip those areas at all. If I were going to strip a receiver or parts that had dried grease or rust on them I would first give them a hot bath in degreaser, then use the Naval Jelly to remove any rust inside pits or on the surface and then last it would get a Muriatic Acid bath for 10-15 minutes.

I recently did an old rusty, lightly pitted and greasy Colt 1911 for a neighbor who's a cowboy action shooter that way, then Parkerized it and you'd be surprised how well it turned out. It surprised even me and REALLY surprised him.

Last edited by lapriester; 05-10-2014 at 12:46 AM.