Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2014, 02:59 PM

Default Eddystone M1917 - sleeper GB auction score?

Hey Guys.

I think I did pretty well on this recent GB win, but in order to get a better idea I need your help and feedback. By no means am I a M1917 guy and this is my first. I know Eddystone’s are the least collectible of the bunch, but I always thought it was a very unique name and was looking one for my collection.

I short I had been sitting on funds waiting for the IHC Garands, but I fear they will just be too $$$ for my pockets and honestly I just got board. As a result I started thinking I might move on to other gaps in my collection and started looking at postings in here and on GB since the local shows here are a joke for M1917’s.

For the most part daily searches only showed the typical ridiculous auctions: too high (for me at least) starting prices on anything decent, sportorized rifles in “original” bubba'd condition for only $700 +, consistent HORRIBLE photos, written descriptions and detail like you would expect to see from a drunk person texting, flat incorrect information and blatant lies, and general rude and barbaric sellers asking that I buy their once in a lifetime POS before time runs out!!! To be fair there were some decent auctions out there from decent folks, but most were too rich for my blood or otherwise just didn't speak to me.

However among the chatter a few random decent examples at fair to low prices would sneak in from time to time. Culling through them I found and then WON this example as the only bidder - $520 total in hand. The photos and listing were definitely not clear nor complete, but the seller was very helpful, willingly took extra photos, and was in general a great human being and seemed to have a rifle that was worth the opening bid price of $500. He did state that he had inherited the rifle from his Father who had “hand selected it from a crate in the 60’s” but that was about it. He also confirmed no import marks.

After the win I did see if he could clarify a bit further on the “story” and it would seem his father was a pretty serious collector and he believes he used one of his Atlanta area gun shop connections to get access to a group before they hit the shelves decades ago, but he really had no detail. This was refreshing honesty considering most of the typical dishonest and grandiose claims you see from many sellers, but I digress.

I was blown away when I saw what I un-boxed. Either you guys are just sleeping or I just got lucky with the roll of the dice! I really think the seller could have sold this for significantly more if he knew what he had and had listed it correctly and better documented it. The only way I found it was searching for “Eddystone”.

So unless my eyes and research are tricking me, I believe this is an all original “as-issued” late war Eddystone; All matching original late war smooth park finish, all Eddystone wood, all E small parts*, 8-18 dated E mirror bright barrel (MW ~1) – also toss in a complete perfect nickel oiler kit for free!!! But if not, I want to know what it really is. This is where you guys come in.

Below is a detailed slideshow and partial part breakdown of Serial 1,804,XXX. They only possible part I can't verify as correct is the ejector. It is the only non-E part and is simply unmarked. Possible replacement? If more photos are needed for further ID let me know.

Regardless of what I think I see, take a look and let me know what you think. I am thrilled with it and for $520 total I think I did OK. How uncommon are un-rebuild M1917's? Most I see either have ragged out barrels, JA replacements, or are in other mix-master states. I know if this was a Winchester or Remington in a similar state then I would have a true gem, but maybe an old Eddystone is still of interest or value

Thanks,

Flem

Last edited by Flemjasmo; 05-28-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:03 PM

Full 40+ pic Slideshow:
http://s726.photobucket.com/user/Fle...ystone%20M1917

Part and Manufacturer (please excuse any part that I have called by the incorrect name!)
Receiver ---- EDDYSTONE 1,804,XXX
Barrel ---- E 8-18 bomb 4X eagle

Buttstock ---- E (tip) Eagle 74 (grip)
Forward handguard ---- E (top) Eagle 90 (inside)
Rear handguard ---- E (top)
Front band ---- E
Stacking Swivel ---- E (partial struck)
Middle band ---- E Eagle
Front Sling Swivel ---- E
Rear handguard band ---- E
Butt swivel mount ---- E
Butt sling swivel ---- E
Butt plate ---- E Eagle
Butt plate hatch ---- E
Hatch Spring ---- E
Oiler Kit nickel ---- Unmarked

Bolt Body ---- E bomb eagle U
Cocking piece ---- E
Striker ---- EN eagle
Extractor ---- E

Bolt / Ejector Release ---- E eagle
Ejector ---- Unmarked
Ejector Spring ---- E
Ejector Spring disc ---- E
Safety ---- E eagle
Safety Plunger ---- E
Safety Cover ---- E

Trigger ---- E double struck Eagle 97
Sear ---- E eagle

Rear sight base spring ---- E
Rear sight ladder ---- E
Rear Sight Peep ---- E
Rear Sight Peep Catch ---- E
Front sight post ---- 090
Front sight base ---- E eagle

Magazine floor housing ---- E 2X eagle
Magazine Box ---- E
Magazine follower ---- E eagle
Magazine Spring ---- E
Magazine Floor Plate ---- E eagle
Floor plate catch ---- E

Last edited by Flemjasmo; 05-27-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:46 PM

Beaut of a rifle. I'd say you did well.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:50 PM

That my friend is a very good score. Super nice looking rifle for the price of a rebuild that is in field grade condition. That's a very nice piece. Congrats.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockhead View Post
Beaut of a rifle. I'd say you did well.
I can't let you have all the luck!

Thanks Guys!
Old 05-27-2014, 04:40 PM

Well done! I'll probably never get that lucky.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:08 PM

Very nice. Perseverance pays off. Congrats.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:08 PM

I'd say that you made out like a bandit. How is the bore?

Range report when you can.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
I'd say that you made out like a bandit. How is the bore?

Range report when you can.
The barrel is super bright and has a MW of about 1. I don't have a TE tool but I suspect it is equally as good. The less than great news is there are two very minor pits about an inch from the end that keeps it from being perfect, but for a 96 year old original barrel I think it is more than passable.

I suspect it will be a shooter, and once I get to the range I will report back.

Last edited by Flemjasmo; 05-28-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:57 PM

Default hi

For your sins mail rifle to me. Id understand it if you held a gun on the guy. But you stold that thing