Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2015, 10:20 PM

Default strange sear

I have this sear that appears to be a type 1 but the hole is not elongated like a typical sear. It appears to be legitimate USGI marked RI and has seen some use. Without an elongated hole, I don't think it would work too well... Anyone seen one like this before?

Pic of sear in question is on the right... Normal sear on the left for comparison:

http://imgur.com/Rrhd1pM

Other pics of marking:

http://imgur.com/a/4FniE
Old 01-09-2015, 10:42 PM

Default I Have No Idea ...

I have no idea. Yep ... seems it would not work as described/designed as we think. Could it be a part for another platform? I am reaching here. Maybe others will tell us. Excellent pics also. HB of CJ (old coot)
Old 01-24-2015, 02:35 PM

Giving this one more bump before it is lost forever in my parts bin, it's only a sear but it must have a story behind it. Something prototype maybe?
Old 01-27-2015, 04:01 PM

dont think it is unique.

google image search m1 carbine type III sear

you'll see lots of examples (of all variants of the sear) with oval holes.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj98 View Post
dont think it is unique.

google image search m1 carbine type III sear

you'll see lots of examples (of all variants of the sear) with oval holes.
Yes, I know that normal sears have an oval hole... Take a close look at my pictures again; the sear on the right hand side has a *round* hole. The sear on the left is a normal sear with the oval hole that i have for easy comparison. I have never seen a seen a carbine sear with a round hole, and in a standard trigger group it would not function normally.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:27 PM

I wouldn't try it in a carbine, as hammer follow-through (and OOB firing ) may likely result. Possibly it was made up to function in one of those field expedient full autos which use the firing pin to trip another sear controlling the hammer as the bolt closes. The concept is outlined in WB2 and I seem to remember that the CC has had several articles, one recently, on "variants" thereof. Holding the trigger back will keep this sear out of the way of the hammer as the fully automaitc system takes over

OP - you could polish one of the sear's lateral sufaces and etch it with an acid to see if that area has been welded up and redrilled. That's what we used to do in welding school, weld and etch steel to visualize depth of fusion, not rework sears that is.

ETA - send your picture to the Carbine Club as a "spotter's report" - your sear is "unusual", if not "dangerous"

Last edited by meplat; 01-27-2015 at 06:01 PM.