Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2010, 06:07 PM

Default Gas Plug Removal M1 Garand

I've been searching this forum for information about GP removal, but can't find everything I need. I'm new to the M1. My questions:
1. How critical is it to have/use a gas cylinder wrench? I note that in my old Army FM 23-5, no such tool was required, just the M10 tool.
2. I'll be installing a Schuster DCM adj. gas plug, and plan on using my M10 combi tool and cleaning rod section to get the original plug out (not sure how hard that will be), but note that others recommend a 1/4" socket wrench. What kind of head is used in this case? A big Phillips screw head? Regular screw driver head?
Thanks.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:45 PM

You can use any tool to support the gas cyilnder that you might have when unscrewing the gas plug. Use some padding so you dont mar the finish.

The 1/4 socket extension by itself will fit into the standard gas plug. You don't need any type of head or attachment.

Eric
Old 05-22-2010, 07:23 PM

+1 on the 1/4" socket extension. I have two of the wrenches, but prefer the socket extension.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:37 PM

M3A1 Combo Tool, M10 Tool, 1/4" ratchet, CMP compact tool, large screw driver, large socket type screw driver, a piece of flat steel the right size and a Crescent Wrench or Vise Grip, a bent piece of flat steel that is the correct width/thickness to fit in the end or just about anything you can find that will fit in the end tightly and provide enough leverage to remove or tighten the plug.

You can spend as little as $0 (if you have any flat iron the right size around or a 1/4" ratchet) or as much as $40 or $50 for some of the "special" and really no more effective tools I've seen sold right here on the CMP forums.

It's all in what you deem adequate to do a simple task that doesn't take special tools and isn't rocket science to accomplish.

Larry
Old 05-22-2010, 10:19 PM

Thanks for all of the advice. I was "married" to an M16A1 for a couple of years. Had a close relationship with a NM S.A. M1A for many years (low 8,000's SN) and have now let a M1 Garand move in with me...but don't know much about her (love at first sight). You've all been a great help.