Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2015, 07:21 PM

Default Legal service rifle sights

So, the other day I dug my service rifle competition gear out from under the pile of stuff that had accumulated atop it since I 'retired' over ten years ago. Figured my son is now big enough to give it a try so I coached him through a local shoot. While talking with another shooter (about my age) he asked why I'd given it up. I explained that my eyesight had deteriorated to the point that I just couldn't keep my scores up any longer. He proceeded to tell me he had the same problem but had overcome it using a magnified optic in the rear sight and an aperture up front in place of a post. After seeing how well he shot with it I'm thinking I might be able to get back to shooting again. My question is - what sorts of these setups are legal for service rifle matches?
Old 09-21-2015, 07:42 PM

From the current Service Rifle Rule Book:
6.1.1 Front and Rear Sights: Must be of U.S. Army design (either service or match). Front sights must have square-topped posts. Any modifications to the front sight, rear sight or rear sight hood must be specifically authorized in Rule 6.1.2.
6.1.2 Service Rifle Modifications
Rear sight windage and elevation adjustments may be modified to allowfiner adjustments.
The dimensions of the rear sight aperture (internal diameter) and the front sight post (width) may vary from standard military dimensions. The rear sight hood diameter may not be longer than 0.70” or larger than 0.50” in diameter. The rear sight aperture may have a fixed, nonadjustable round, square or rectangular aperture insert. A corrective lens or multi-focal lens system may be inserted in the rear sight hood.

You can add the insert in the rear sight, but the front sight has to remain a post, no aperture insert.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:50 PM

Wow, I'm 73 and can no longer see the sights well at all. I'd sure like to know about this option for a corrective lens in the rear sight! For pistol shooting I had my optometrist make a set of single vision glasses that focus on the front sight and was thinking of trying something similar setting up a service rifle that I don't yet have.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:12 AM

You could always go the Match Rifle route...

OR

if the CMP votes for Service Rifle optics next month, in 2016 you'll be able to compete with a 4.5X optic on a Service Rifle (if they vote the current proposal in as is).
Old 09-22-2015, 09:36 PM

Thanks CDRT. Yes, the fellow I was talking with was shooting a 'space gun' so I guess the front aperture is legal for match rifles. I'm going to look into that corrective lens rear aperture, and maybe a wider front post. I replaced the front post with the narrowest available back when I could still see it clearly! Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has gone this route.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:54 PM

I have the Bob Jones insert on my AR service rifle. I have a + .25 for 600 yards and +.50
Corrective lenses in glasses for my other rifles.
I often use for 200 yards or less.

Your best bet is find a eye doc who can understand your shooting needs.
You need to tell him your trying to focus on the front sight @ X" although still need to see 100-600 yards away a little....