Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzo View Post
I have to agree on the no alibi proposal, I don't believe that the enemy gives you a 5 minute timeout when your rifle jams.
What enemy would that be?
Old 08-27-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missilegeek View Post
The one that died when they stopped reloading from the cartridge belt.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
The one that died when they stopped reloading from the cartridge belt.
Pretty much.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3StrikesNC View Post
Really??

Frankly I don't see a difference in the fog/rain, irons vs. optics. Perhaps that's because I hunt with low power scopes in all weather, which includes a lot of rain & especially fog.
When you shoot prone in the rain at 600, there can be a lot of interference with your sight picture. This will be magnified. A scope shooter will be shooting a black dot (4 power), through fog, mist, and rain. A deer at 200 yards is different than a 1 MOA 10 ring at 600. There are times that irons are a superior choice, and I have had no trouble shooting my Palma rifle in Any Sight matches. I'm not talking about the scope fogging up or collecting water on the lenses, however that will be an issue for some. I have shot my personal best service rifle score, 199-9, in rain and it was a midrange match with an any category. The scope shooters were whining, and folks shooting irons shot better.

Give 'em scopes. It won't make difference.

It should be noted that the NRA already has an XTC category for shooting a scoped rifle. I haven't seen anyone use it. I think that a lot of folks will run out and buy new rifles and realize that their fundamentals are lacking. Maybe a small gain in score. You really don't have to see that well to shoot irons. That's a myth. If you can make a decent sight picture you can shoot tens. If you have a terrible position and jerk the trigger, you don't shoot tens, it's that simple. Scope or no scope.

Last edited by WindLogik; 08-27-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missilegeek View Post
At our ranges they have random people running around on the 100 yard line shooting paintballs at the shooter during the rapid fires, If you get hit, no soup for you. (This is a joke of course)

Yeah, XTC isn't combat training.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:34 PM

The matches at Perry will not run any faster with no shooter alibis. There will always be the pit guy that pulls a target in rapid fire, there will always be the pit boss that sets the timer for 60 instead of 70 seconds in prone rapid fire, there will always be the target with 12 or more hits on it where the shooter can choose to refire because someone else crossfired, there will always be targets that are 9 & Yes where the shooter can choose to refire because the pits can't find the double hit. It will take the same amount of time as before, just that the alibi shooters will be a bit more lonely on the line.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Hunter View Post
The matches at Perry will not run any faster with no shooter alibis. There will always be the pit guy that pulls a target in rapid fire, there will always be the pit boss that sets the timer for 60 instead of 70 seconds in prone rapid fire, there will always be the target with 12 or more hits on it where the shooter can choose to refire because someone else crossfired, there will always be targets that are 9 & Yes where the shooter can choose to refire because the pits can't find the double hit. It will take the same amount of time as before, just that the alibi shooters will be a bit more lonely on the line.
Right, perhaps. But at smaller CMP matches, we won't have to wait for the folks that can't figure out how to size their brass. I like that. If they want to bump their brass to get two more loadings and make everyone wait in the process, they can get 47s for their rapids.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLogik View Post
Right, perhaps. But at smaller CMP matches, we won't have to wait for the folks that can't figure out how to size their brass. I like that. If they want to bump their brass to get two more loadings and make everyone wait in the process, they can get 47s for their rapids.
Agreed 100%
Old 08-28-2015, 02:15 PM

Not all shooter alibis are the result of brass re-sizing issues. Bad primers, dud rounds, out of spec or weak parts can affect any of us. I would hate to see my trip to Perry or anyone elses ruined for lack of an alibi.
We also have to worry about the guy with his spare mag standing by who gets a mis-fire, jacks the round out of the chamber and reloads a new mag and has himself a kaboom right in front of us. There are some legitimate safety concerns that need to be addressed if this rule is accepted.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:20 PM

Spacegunr, Unfavorable consequences are a sure way to ensure that something will not happen again. Most folks learn after one really bad experience. The rest are untrainable. Rick