Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2015, 08:30 AM
CMP Chief Operating Officer

We have weighed 7 different manufactures of AR type rifles. 6 different scope manufactures and too many combinations to remember... No lead weights and the rifle with scope and mount makes the 11.5 lbs.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:16 PM

Hey Mark, thanks for posting.

Wondering, what is the purpose of the weight limit? It seems to step on the "internal modifications allowed" rule.

Secondly, if this change (scopes) is because the military is going to optics, why not just allow exactly the optics they commonly issue? On this point we seem to be allowing external modifications.

Thanks,

Ryan V
Distinguished 1850
Old 09-03-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
We have weighed 7 different manufactures of AR type rifles. 6 different scope manufactures and too many combinations to remember... No lead weights and the rifle with scope and mount makes the 11.5 lbs.
Does the no lead weights mean that I cannot use an HBAR with lead in the stock to create the balance that I want?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:45 PM

It's not the lead weights that is in question. If you shoot with open sights add as much lead as you want. If you want to use a 4.5x scope , it can only weight 11.5 pounds total.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by park ranger View Post
It's not the lead weights that is in question. If you shoot with open sights add as much lead as you want. If you want to use a 4.5x scope , it can only weight 11.5 pounds total.
That is what I figured, but I didn't want to get dq'd on a technicality.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:08 AM

Why the weight thing?? Is this some attempt to balance a perceived advantage from the optic with a percieved disadvantage from the weight limit?? I'm not buying into that one. Just looking for some logic here..... Good Shooting. ..
Old 09-20-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agrivere View Post
I can't help but wonder if Mark (and the other folks who came up with this weight limit idea) are aware that Rock River isn't the only manufacturer of National Match rifles (tongue in cheek - I'm sure they are), but more importantly, the RRA barrel has a different/lighter profile than most other barrels on the market.
What about compass lake? White oak armament?

Bill
Old 09-23-2015, 03:38 PM

That's too bad because Highpower shooting is more akin to what a MK12 SPR does than what door-bashers do with a 4x scope or ACOG.

I think MK12 type optics (up to 12X) should be allowed.

I probably won't shoot HP again until scopes are allowed. My eyes are too bad. However, neither do I want to spring for a single-use scope. If I'm going to spend cash on a quality scope, I want something more versatile than a retrograde 4x.

Last edited by bcole; 09-24-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:13 PM

When are rules to be finalized. What stock types may be allowed...front and buttstock
Old 10-04-2015, 11:56 AM

I'm not against the weight limit, but I would like to see some ability to use limited weight distribution on the scoped rifles. The people that like weight like as much as they can get. So the choice between a 13lbs limit or a unlimited weighted rifle still accomplishes the same thing without cutting it so close as to limit the available scope and mount options. Thirteen pounds is a good compromise that saves a lot of head aches and worry of being out of competition, and the expense of trying to make weight.
Distinguished Rifleman #2198
NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
NRA Patron Life member
PCGC Junior Team coach
CMP GSM Master Inst.