Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2010, 10:43 PM

Default 1903-A4 Weaver M73B1 Scope Crosshairs Question

Just picked up this scope at an estate auction and just wondering if it is a legit 03-A4 sniper scope. One thing that looks a little different is the crosshairs are wide and white/silver? I tried to get a picture but my camera just can't do it. Optics are bright and clear.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlschhlnd View Post
Just picked up this scope at an estate auction and just wondering if it is a legit 03-A4 sniper scope. One thing that looks a little different is the crosshairs are wide and white/silver? I tried to get a picture but my camera just can't do it. Optics are bright and clear.

erlschlnd - I hate to say this but the engraved serial # and the words Telescope M73B1 are fake.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:19 PM

I looked at this on another forum. I think the s/n is ok. But the "Telescope M73B1" is wrong for this version. Also the execution is sloppy compared to legitimate examples of the earlier variation that had electropenciled nomenclature. The style of the numbers in nomeclature does not match the style in the s/n - suggesting a different hand at a different time.

Regards,

Jim
Old 06-07-2010, 01:37 PM

it appears that the serial number etched in electro pencil is correct and the second line was added later maybe by a civilian owner or gunsmith working on the scope and wanting to keep the parts together???
In any event I think the scope is probably original with some work done on the crosshairs and then the addition of the second line scratched on.
This seems to be the consensus on the other two forums.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:20 PM

Broken crosshairs are a fairly common problem with these. I believe the originals used a .001" diameter wire. If they were replaced possibly a thicker material was used.

Regards,

Jim
Old 06-07-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
it appears that the serial number etched in electro pencil is correct and the second line was added later maybe by a civilian owner or gunsmith working on the scope and wanting to keep the parts together???
In any event I think the scope is probably original with some work done on the crosshairs and then the addition of the second line scratched on.
This seems to be the consensus on the other two forums.
My concern was the entirety of the "stylistic" manner in which the Serial # and what was placed below as to the to the "2nd Line"

1st concern is the Serial #.. while the "Hand style" of electro penciling is compatible with other M73B1 scopes of the era in that serial # range except for one thing. The height of the numerals compared to the roll stamped word on the scope tube. Approx. 1/3rd larger.

That doesn't compare well to my collection of approx. 50 Photos of other M73B1 scopes relatively close to your Serial # range.

That being said perhaps I used to strong of a word in saying your scope Serial # engraving was "fake". The balance of the "engraving" as you've noted is faked, "Bubba" or otherwise. That detracts immensely in value.

I'll take another look at your pictures for other features that will help me in forming an opinion on the orginality of your Scope. It may be that it's orginal and "Bubba'ed" with extra markings.

Crosshair replacement is not unusual nor something to shy away from if done professionally and correctly.

While I haven't see this scope on any other forums, nor the expressed opinions thereon I'm well aware of who "JGaynor" is and I respect him to the utmost. He is also aware of who I am..just under other Forum names.

Rob
Old 06-07-2010, 08:21 PM

Thanks for your comments and information. I really appreciate it. I hope I can return the favor some day. I think I now have a pretty good handle on what I got here. As I don’t have a 03-A4, and Im not a scope collector, I will probably put this scope up for sale in the next few days and maybe get it to someone that can use it. I will now be able to describe it fairly well and better than most that I see on Ebay or Gun Broker. I will sell it as needing some work on the crosshairs. And note the second line addition ??. I think with my description and pictures the prospective bidders can make up their minds.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob257 View Post
My concern was the entirety of the "stylistic" manner in which the Serial # and what was placed below as to the to the "2nd Line"

1st concern is the Serial #.. while the "Hand style" of electro penciling is compatible with other M73B1 scopes of the era in that serial # range except for one thing. The height of the numerals compared to the roll stamped word on the scope tube. Approx. 1/3rd larger.

That doesn't compare well to my collection of approx. 50 Photos of other M73B1 scopes relatively close to your Serial # range.

Rob
No expert here but there is another scope pic to compare for another data point. If you have the Remington Society of America Journal, 3rd Qtr 2004 in their A4 article on page 39 it shows a roll stamped tube with the EP serial # about the same size as the one erlschhlnd has, although the placement is lower. It's scope serial 28438.

Last edited by zaugau; 06-07-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaugau View Post
No expert here but there is another scope pic to compare for another data point. If you have the Remington Society of America Journal, 3rd Qtr 2004 in their A4 article on page 39 it shows a roll stamped tube with the EP serial # about the same size as the one erlschhlnd has, although the placement is lower. It's scope serial 28438.
Zaugau - I do not have the Remington Society..Journal picture you reference (scope # 28438) and would appreciate seeing that photo if you would care to post it.

I've never claimed to be an expert either but collective knowledge shared with others is a good thing.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your comments and information. I really appreciate it. I hope I can return the favor some day. I think I now have a pretty good handle on what I got here. As I don’t have a 03-A4, and Im not a scope collector, I will probably put this scope up for sale in the next few days and maybe get it to someone that can use it. I will now be able to describe it fairly well and better than most that I see on Ebay or Gun Broker. I will sell it as needing some work on the crosshairs. And note the second line addition ??. I think with my description and pictures the prospective bidders can make up their minds.
Erlschhlnd - That just about one of the best responses to comments made to a question I've seen in a long time!!

A couple of other points I'll make on your scope, after reviewing your posted pictures..is that I note the lack of normal/orginal sealant around the Data plate. Plus the Data Plate screws show use.

I would think you'll do well when you sell your scope. It ain't "Junk"!

Sincerely - Rob