Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 02:46 PM

Default 7.62mm TZ Headstamp

I just bought a can of 500 rds. of this ammo with a 1980 headstamp for $200 at a local gun show. Has anyone had any experience with it - know for sure where it was made - corrosive? Dealer said he thought it was Israeli made. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2010, 02:48 PM

It is Israeli. In my opinion it is very bad ammo that I would only use to pull down for components. If you search you will find reports of that ammo blowing up guns in the past.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookertbab View Post
It is Israeli. In my opinion it is very bad ammo that I would only use to pull down for components. If you search you will find reports of that ammo blowing up guns in the past.

The one story I heard about this ammo was that some rounds were too long, the bullet hadn't been seated deep enough. When the cartridge was chambered the bullet touched the lands of the bore and that caused an over pressure situation. That could have been the reason the rounds blew up rifles. If you want to use the ammo, you might want to consider measuring the overall length of each round and cull out any "long" ones.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:36 PM

I have shot this with no problems. I also have .556 with the same headstamp. It is manufactured for IMI.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:57 PM

I've had the TZ 45 ACP in the past, it was good ammo. From what I remember it was fairly hard brass, but reloaded nicely.

Israeli ammo has always been good to go in all calibers.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:02 PM

Just another heads-up on this TZ, TZZ ammo. Yes, it is Israeli and most people know to steer clear of it because of so many problems. It is known to be HOT ammo. It has also been said that alot of this stuff came in country very grungy and was "tumbled" to be cleaned up. How long it was tumbled no one can say for sure. This tumbling caused the powder to break down from its previous shape (be it stick or ball) into smaller fragments which changed its burn rate. Now, instead of the powder burning when the primer was struck, it detonated causing serious problems. I'm not saying all this ammo is bad, but I've heard enough stories to stay away.
The above pretains to the 7.62x51 ammo. Have heard nothing bad about any other Israeli ammo, except that the IMI 9mm may be somewhat hot and have hard primers because they designed it for use in full auto open bolts like the UZI

Last edited by Callahan; 06-13-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:21 PM

I've never had a problem with TZ.
5.56 and 45 worked great for me. Loads nice too.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:47 PM

Thanks guys. The ammo is in sealed 20 rd boxes and came in a lead sealed ammo can with the correct lot number on the oustside. I will check it for length - perhaps I will try it in my CETMe first
Old 06-13-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americal71 View Post
Thanks guys. The ammo is in sealed 20 rd boxes and came in a lead sealed ammo can with the correct lot number on the oustside. I will check it for length - perhaps I will try it in my CETMe first
Length isn't the problem. The brass is bad. You can't tell until you shoot it.

Read up on it and use at your own risk. http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...postid=2813175
Old 06-13-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookertbab View Post
Length isn't the problem. The brass is bad. You can't tell until you shoot it.

Read up on it and use at your own risk. http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...postid=2813175
Nasty!
Is it just the 7.62 brass?
I shot quite a bit of the 45, and maybe a couple hundred of the 5.56, and never noticed a split. Reloaded it too.
Maybe I better let it fly the next time I shoot it.