Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2016, 08:39 PM

Default Sticky glove- prone slow fire comfort

I am new to the AR and am trying to build a prone position. I find that holding a A2 type rifle back towards the mag well ihurts my wrist too much- I have carpal tunnel or something. I find that holding farther forward on the forend is very comfortable and I can get very good sling tension- I even run my sling shorter-
At present I can only shoot in matches- I don't have the opportunity to practice live fire. I have not fired the rifle with my support hand forward and am concerned about maintaining my hand placement.
Read some Zediker books and he says the Monard glove is the ticket- very sticky. Anybody know where I could get one of these? Any other suggestions would be appreciated
THANKS
Dan
Old 08-07-2016, 09:27 PM

The Monard hybrid glove is excellent. Highly recommend it. You can order from McKenna shooting sports in the US, or as I recommend, order directly from Monard on their website. If you order from McKenna and it's not in stock, you might wait months with no word. If you order directly from Monard in Sweden, you'll have it in a week or two. Follow the sizing chart, when in doubt, order the larger size.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:35 AM

Firstly:
I think most SR AR shooters in the prone shoot with the weak hand as forward as comfortable. Some push up to the sling swivel. So you are on the right track doing the same.

Secondly:
Generally, for me, and your mileage may vary, the sling tension provides enough "resistance" that I don't use/need alot of "stickiness" in the mitt. Instead I found my spot when I wanted to be, and put a piece of tape there to mark it and was done. My weak hand doesn't slide from there. All I do is when setting up, put my weak hand on the tape and done.

Of course I'm not saying, "Don't buy another mitt." Just that the one you have maybe good already.

PS My experiences with McKenna when I ordered a jacket were great! but again YMMV.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:19 AM

much easier to get monard direct they are sticky and last forever.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:22 PM

My monard is sticky until I spray firm grip on it and then it is like a greased pig.

For prone, get that support side upper arm extended and on the ground behind the ball of the elbow. Get it in as close to the magazine as possible. Then place your hand on the fore stock to get proper elevation. There is no one right answer. I run my sling as tight as I can without forcing a cant into the rifle due to sling length.

In a nutshell anyway.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
Old 08-08-2016, 03:32 PM

I run my support hand to the sling swivel but I wear a 36 inch sleeve on my Sunday shirt. I'm to high off the ground and top heavy if I support the rifle back at the mag well while shooting prone.

For service rifle glove, I suggest the Monard Precision Hybrid.
http://www.mckennashootingsports.com...recision-glove
It sticks like glue to the rifle and has top grip around fingers so you still have the ability to use them to clear malfunctions if required.

I have the Monard Proliner Prone Glove.
http://shop.monard.com/gloves/proliner-prone-glove.html
I use it for smallbore prone and wear it all day with out discomfort 160 shots for record with unlimited sighters in a SB prone day.

I tried to order a glove from McKenna and had some questions so I emailed him. Never got an answer back so after waiting 2 months for a reply, I ordered from the main company in Sweden. I used their website on line ordering, paid by credit card, Monard took off all the Swedish taxes, my credit card did the currency exchange, I received a glove in 2 weeks from over seas, and the cost was almost the same as ordering from McKenna. That was this past spring, things may be slower now because the big dogs are in Rio.

I suggest you measure your hand according to their size chart. After measuring, order at least one size larger, maybe two sizes bigger. I ordered one size bigger and on real hot sweaty days, I wish I had the second size bigger.

I have never used my Monard glove in sitting, kneeling or offhand, I use a Gehmann full finger glove for the other positons in both SB and HP.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:05 AM

Default Prone position comfort

After watching the CMP video 'Mind Over Matter' I have lowered my prone position- tightening my sling with my support arm as far forward as it will go- no hand pressure is needed on the forestock. I tuck the buttstock in under my chin so it rests more on the pectoral area of my chest- elevation adjustments can be made by moving the non support hand "right"elbow. My left hand is up by the front sling swivel. This enables me to get my right hand higher on the hand grip-
My magazine is almost resting on my forearm.
This seems to relieve 90% of the strain felt on my wrist.
Only discomfort I really have is in my neck from extending it over the stock- and the fact that my nose is mashed into the charging handle.
I think I can hold this position for the 15 minutes or so it takes to fire a string- I will try it tomorrow- Thanks
Old 11-13-2016, 04:45 AM

I suggest going to the local motorcycle or leather shops and looking at the heavy leather motorcycle gloves. There is an incredibly large variety available. The ones I use are long enough to provide great padding where the sling crosses. I have tried shooting gloves and much prefer the MC type. They are far less expensive.and you get two...so if you have left (or right) handed friends.... Good Shooting. ..
Old 11-13-2016, 05:13 PM

As some others stated above, I run my support hand up to the sling swivel. I also take as low a position as possible. I can stay in position for the whole SF prone string without any real discomfort. When I used a higher position with my support hand closer to the mag, my support hand would hurt then go numb.
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena....
Old 11-20-2016, 08:01 PM

Default Monard good/bad

I poney'd up and bought a Monard year before last at Perry. Good : it is in super shape externally and has held up to extensive use. Bad : the padding inside has smashed flat basically and doesn't buffer out pulse like it should. I've actually gone back to one of my old Creedmoor gloves for 600 prone.YMMV . I consider gloves to be a consumable item and will probably buy a new Creedmoor for next year. Just gotta figure out which one.