Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2010, 09:23 PM

Default How I made my Garand Lamp - Finished!

I was going to make a Garand lamp using an unfinished casting as the receiver. But then I decided that was too much machining, just for a lamp. Then I was going to make the lamp turn on, and off, using the charging handle, but that was too much for a simple floor lamp too - so it will turn on and off at the base of the bulb - like most lamps.

I don't know exactly what I am using as a base yet, but I'm sure I'll work something out.

So - the receiver became a 'commercial' one made by Nat'l Ord in California. I don't think it is 100% finished, and it might not even be hardened. The barrel was bad too (but now it's worse)

Bear in mind that all these parts are "recovered" some coming from drill rifles, others just worn out or broken - I just don't want to ruin a good (or even poor but usable) M1 to make a lamp. So - the only thing that was 'good' that I hade 'ruined' was the stock.

They look good, because I repark everything. I am also practicing on stock repair and the rear hand guard is being glued in this photo. So far - so good.

I think this could create some serious pressure problems

Not to mention how the accuracy might be adversly affected.

This is how I am routing the power cord

Now - this is what I am missing to complete my project ....

Butt plate (no one will see the bottom - so it can be missing the door.
Clip latch
Extractor - anyone have one with a broken lip?
Front sight
Rear sling swivel
Rear sling swivel/Butt plate screw
Stacking swivel, with screw
Stock Ferrule with front sling swivel and screw
Trigger
Trigger housing (stripped)

and here's the hard one

Rear sight assembly - this can have stripped threads, or a broken tooth on the rear sight peep, or any othe problems you can think of.

Please look through your scrap bins and see what you have from the list above.
NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
DAV Life Member
VCDL Member

As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas

Last edited by WhisperFan; 07-19-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:54 PM

looks good so far.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:35 AM

Wish I had something around here to contribute to the project but I don't -- sorry! However, I am looking forward to seeing the finished product!!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Banned

Whisper,
I've got a crappy-condition (and that's being kind) hooded rear sight apperture you can have. PM me your address and it's yours.
Jon
Old 07-13-2010, 09:35 PM

You should use one of those touch lamp kits for the switch. Just touch the barrel and they usually have 3 dimmer settings
Old 07-14-2010, 08:41 PM

just thinking about you project.The safety would make a great on/off switch.Have a switch inside thats attached to the safety.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 PM

This is what I still need to complete my project .....

Clip latch
Trigger
Rear sight elevation knob
A OD cloth sling might be nice on this as well.

I might try to make something that looks like a clip latch, since it will be on the back side of the lamp. I can probably come up with something to pass a casual glance - but I'd really like a surplus one to slide in there.

Please look through your scrap bins and see what you have from the list above.

Here's my update for today .... I really didn't know what I wanted to do for the base of my lamp. I decided that an ammo can would make a neat base. So I dug out an M2 Ball can. To add some weight, I cut a 1/2" piece of steel plate to put on the bottom. I put some feet on it, and drilled a 3/4" hole in the lid. I used a piece of 3/4" pipe, mounted to the steel plate, and up into the butt-stock. I might need to 'shape' the hole on the bottom of the butt plate. to clear the pipe. To secure the two togher, I drilled through the stock and into the pipe in two places, then I tapped the pipe and screwed two 8-32 black oxide finish button head cap screws through the stock and into the pipe. I didn't want the Garand to be in profile when viewed from the front, nor did I want to view it from the top, so I angled it at about 45 degrees.

So - here's a teaser .....

Thanks to everyone that gave me advice, encouragement, or parts. I haven't added up what I have in this project, and I don't want to - it might break my heart to see what I spent on a lamp.

My it is starting to look neat, if I do say so myself.
NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
DAV Life Member
VCDL Member

As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.

Last edited by WhisperFan; 07-14-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:56 PM

For a base, how about a shortened standing gun rack?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:00 AM

Lookin' good!!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:25 PM

Well, I spent a little time in the basement today .....
We can cross the clip latch off the list - I made this myself - it isn't an exact reproduction, but I just wanted something to fill the hole.

Here's my rear handguard repair. A new piece of walnut, and a couple brass pins.

So - here is my new list .....
Trigger
Rear sight elevation knob
OD cloth sling

Anyone ? Anyone ? Bueller ? Bueller ?
NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
DAV Life Member
VCDL Member

Last edited by WhisperFan; 07-19-2010 at 05:02 PM.