Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 10:08 AM

Default Korean Garand clarification?

Before I get flamed I figure if the GCA can bring Korean Garands up I should be able to as well. The article in the GCA fall issue has me confused. It states that 89,000 Garands were loaned to the Koreans. The article also speculates that the Century Arms deal is dead and the potential returns would be through the CMP. The photos included in the article reflect a surprisingly high level of care and preservation for the rifles. These three points seem to contradict the endless speculation that I've seen here on the forum.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:41 AM

I have my theories about what happened with these Garands from rumors i have heard........about how they were slated for sale to an importer and now all of a sudden there coming back through the Army for sale through CMP........However i don't want to speculate and start rumors, but GCA is a pretty reputable source and i tend to buy what their selling.......but like anything else we all need to just wait and see........
Old 11-24-2017, 01:41 PM

This is why you should take anything you hear on forums with a grain of salt
Any comment made now is nothing more than speculation and may be incorrect info.
The GCA article clearly states "Rifles may be coming back" so they dont even know for sure the future of these rifles
Just have to set back and wait.................
Old 11-24-2017, 02:07 PM

Way too many bureaucratic hoops to jump through to even have a glimmer of hope at this point in time!! Even the GCA is looking for topics to discuss on their pages...doesn’t make it fact!! IMO
Old 11-24-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardspunned View Post
Before I get flamed I figure if the GCA can bring Korean Garands up I should be able to as well. The article in the GCA fall issue has me confused. It states that 89,000 Garands were loaned to the Koreans. The article also speculates that the Century Arms deal is dead and the potential returns would be through the CMP.

1) If the rifles were on loan through one of the military aid programs then they could not have been commercially imported. They remain the property of the United States. If returned they would go to the DoD who would declare them surplus and release them to the CMP, who would pay the shipping costs.

2) If the Koreans owned the rifles outright, the CMP could not touch them because the CMP is not a licensed firearms importer.

It can only work one of the those two ways, not both, or a combination of the two.

Last edited by MTC29; 11-24-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTC29 View Post
1) If the rifles were on loan through one of the military aid programs then they could not have been commercially imported. They remain the property of the United States. If returned they would go to the DoD who would declare them surplus and release them to the CMP, who would pay the shipping costs.

2) If the Koreans owned the rifles outright, the CMP could not touch them because the CMP is not a licensed firearms importer.

It can only work one of the those two ways, not both, or a combination of the two.
OK, which of your two categories do the following excerpts fit into then:

Disposal to a Third Party

Upon approval by the DoS, the MAP recipient may transfer the items to the third party in accordance with instructions provided by the USG.

Net Proceeds Returned to USG

Net proceeds resulting from the item disposal must be returned to the USG unless a waiver has been granted by the DoS.

DoS may waive return of net proceeds in cases involving grant equipment delivered prior to 1985. There is no waiver authority for articles delivered after 1985. Requests for waiver consideration are included in written transfer requests and must include an estimate of the net proceeds expected, justification/rationale for the request to retain net proceeds, and how the funds will be used.

Here's another section that provides a little more detail:

Proceeds from Disposal of MAP Items.

FAA, section 505(f) requires net proceeds from MAP disposal to be paid to the USG. In the case of items that were delivered prior to 1985, the President may waive the requirement that such net proceeds be paid to the USG if he or she determines that to do so is in the national interest of the United States. This waiver authority has been delegated to the Secretary of State.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstflabn View Post
OK, which of your two categories do the following excerpts fit into then:

Disposal to a Third Party

Upon approval by the DoS, the MAP recipient may transfer the items to the third party in accordance with instructions provided by the USG.

Net Proceeds Returned to USG

Net proceeds resulting from the item disposal must be returned to the USG unless a waiver has been granted by the DoS.

DoS may waive return of net proceeds in cases involving grant equipment delivered prior to 1985. There is no waiver authority for articles delivered after 1985. Requests for waiver consideration are included in written transfer requests and must include an estimate of the net proceeds expected, justification/rationale for the request to retain net proceeds, and how the funds will be used.

Here's another section that provides a little more detail:

Proceeds from Disposal of MAP Items.

FAA, section 505(f) requires net proceeds from MAP disposal to be paid to the USG. In the case of items that were delivered prior to 1985, the President may waive the requirement that such net proceeds be paid to the USG if he or she determines that to do so is in the national interest of the United States. This waiver authority has been delegated to the Secretary of State.

It is not my intention to answer a question with a question, but what is the status of those Korean rifles? Are they owned by the Koreans or are they on loan from MAP? The status of those rifles would seem relative to the regulation you just sited. The last I heard (and the story ahs changed many times of the years) is that the Koreans (now) claim they purchased them and own them outright, and the rifles are not subject to MAP restrictions.

Last edited by MTC29; 11-24-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:37 PM

Plus with what just happened on the border, they may need them.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:53 PM

They have both MAP and purchased rifles. They claim the rebuilt guns in the cans are the ones they purchased and the worn out junk is what we loaned them. That’s where the rub is.

Iraq/Afghanistan 03-04
Iraq JAN-NOV 2011
Old 11-24-2017, 08:07 PM

I'd bet they have a bunch of 45's too.
Closed Thread