Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2018, 08:12 PM

Default Just got an M1 with a very shiny gas cylinder

Just got this M1 Garand from the CMP. Its a service grade.
Really happy with it, but I have one question. The gas cylinder is polished bright silver. What is up with that -- was this a thing?

Old 04-16-2018, 08:17 PM

The gas cylinder, lock, and screw were all made of stainless steel. That rifle looks too nice for a Turkish return, but I've seen a number of Turkish rifles that have all three pieces that look like yours. I'm not sure if it is just from normal wear, or if they did it on purpose from some reason. If you look at photos of GI's in WW II you'll often seen shiny gas cylinders from wear.

That looks like a very nice rifle! GI wood that nice is hard to come by right now. The CMP custom shop can refinish all three pieces for $45.00

Last edited by 32sbct; 04-16-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:21 PM

Default shiny gas cylinder

The real gas cylinders were made of stainless steel, then they were blackened to not be reflective. That could have been over 70 years ago, anybody could have buffed the cylinder off, or that piece might have been a parade or presentation piece..You can shell out money for a new one, or remove it and send it in for reworking for a fee. At least three companies rework them..I used black bar-bq paint and 'fixed" one of my shooters.It shining still qualifies it for service grade.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:30 PM

Wow, have never seen a shiny gas cylinder on a service grade before. Field grade yes.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:36 PM

The shine is too "finished" to just explain it as normal wear, certainly not when you compare it to the rest of the parts... Someone definitely wanted it like that!

I kind of like it, I just wanted to know what was up with that...

For example, knowing that they were stainless steel helps, I didn't really know that. Now that I do, I don't mind showing it off
Old 04-16-2018, 09:01 PM

...another service grade with a shine

Old 04-16-2018, 09:11 PM

Stewbaby from the fragment that I can see your stock looks really good
Old 04-16-2018, 09:43 PM

I recently got one like that on a FG.

My guess is that the Turk returns have had some kind of improvised coating applied that is in poor condition.

My SG from a month previous to the FG has a properly refinished stainless part set as delivered. It's also a Turk return by the 'dope' graffiti.

It might be now expedient given the sheer volume of orders to simply buff off whatever is on there and ship it. I can't imagine the Turks going to the trouble to R&R the sight.

I 'blackened' mine with VHT 'flameproof' header paint. Did a slow heat treat, and so far it's staying put. It's a thicker coating and notably 'blacker' than the process CMP uses.

Is it 'correct', well, debatable. Hatcher says they used a paint that wasn't very satisfactory so maybe my painted 1942 model is more 'correct' than most think.

Will it hold up? No clue. But I do have enough paint left in the can to do it half a dozen more times. The paint cost $10, and I didn't have to wait in line or ship anything away for 6 weeks.

Last edited by N8232J; 04-16-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 02:12 AM

That is stripped but not polished. Polished will be a lot shinier and smoother. Polished will look like it is Nickel or Chrome plated.

US Army Transportation and Medical Corps Museums Life member
Old 04-17-2018, 04:25 AM

I have seen many like this over the years, its nothing unusual