Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2018, 07:11 PM

Default my Garand clip loader

Hi all, been a while since I've been on here, so I thought I would show you guys with a bit of wood a few pieces of steel anybody can build their own clip loader for the Garand. you don't need to invest in all sorts of fancy machinery

last year I saw a few examples of folks who made a GARAND clip loader, so I decide to make one for myself. this started out as a winter project, but I started it late and didn't finish it when the whether turn nice. now that it's tuning a bit cold, I decided to finish it up.

like I said you don't have to have all that fancy metal working machines tools to make one. I just have a ancient 1970s SEARS table saw that my father bought new back in the day and common hand tools with a garage full of wood. about as fancy of a metal working tool I have is a DREMEL.

97 percent of it is made from wood, but unlike those folks who built it completely out of wood, except for the ammunition pusher arm, and the pusher rod. I use steel for other areas that would be subject to a lot of stress and wear like the clip holder, the pusher guide and the ammunition track. the ammunition tack is just a couple of Chinese made 10 round .308 stripper clip set in a furrow. you could use 5 round .308 stripper clips. I found that 30-06 rounds fit in those nicely. just have to take out the black "ammunition retainer" out of it so all you have is a bare bones stripper clip.

I also glued on very thin pieces of metal on the follower housing where the clip sits on so it doesn't dig into the wood when "bringing home" the rounds into the clip. the thin piece of metal I used was from a LAW tube cover I had in my basement

CLIP HOLDER

PUSHER GUIDE

FOLLOWER HOUSING

and what machine wouldn't be complete without a data plate? :laugh:

Last edited by UncleBilly; 10-22-2018 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:19 PM

a guy named Ray has plans

http://www.foundry.ray-vin.com/ocl/ocl.htm

but for me I just studied these photos made some modifications to mine.
http://www.foundry.ray-vin.com/ocl/gallery/garywebb.htm

I didn't go exactly like the plans, I made mine with a few different variations, like on the pusher handle I incorporated the handle bolt to also be the guide stud, thereby having the handle right behind the rounds instead having it offset to the side of the rounds. I was able to kill 2 birds with one stone.

instead of the bullet guide coming off the post, I placed it in front and made it so that all 8 rounds are all line up ready to go into the clip, instead of having each round lined up before going into the clip.

and screwed in a flat steel as the pusher guide, instead of routing it out on the back of the post

here she is all painted up

Last edited by UncleBilly; 10-22-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:36 PM

here is a very short video clip of it working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvXmetBDFkU

this will make a great winter project for anybody to tackle.

I am thinking of make a "hopper" thingy to attach on top of the loader so instead of loading the ammunition track one at a time, gravity will feed round down it, where all you have to do is just replenish the hopper.

I haven't seen or read anybody do that, maybe they did and it didn't work so it wasn't mentioned. but, the winters are sub-zero here in Cleveland and it's long, so I have plenty time to experiment and see what I can come up with

Last edited by UncleBilly; 10-22-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:54 PM

So, I'm reading your post and looking at the pictures and to be honest, I couldn't figure what the heck I was looking at. Then I watched your short video and HOLY CRAP that is slicker than heck. Great job!!! Love the Nameplate👍
"I cannot believe that the purpose of life is to be 'happy'. I think the purpose of life is to be useful, to be responsible, to be honorable, to be compassionate. It is, above all, to matter, to count, to stand for something, to have it make some difference that you lived at all." LEO ROSTEN
Old 10-25-2018, 02:47 PM

Question

Slick I suppose but huge and I really don't see the advantage or need for such a thing unless you are loading hundreds of clips in preparation for battle. They load just fine by hand ....and BTW.... pretty rapidly. Fun project but I don't know where on earth I put the thing or ever take the time to actually use it after I did.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:52 PM

I have a clip loader and I love it. I may one day try my hand at building another. They really don't take up much space and mine resides with the my re-loading equipment. I can load up a 200 round can of HXP in about 10 minutes; that may not be faster than by hand (it probably is) but I guarantee it is way more fun to use a loader than by hand.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
Slick I suppose but huge and I really don't see the advantage or need for such a thing unless you are loading hundreds of clips in preparation for battle. They load just fine by hand ....and BTW.... pretty rapidly. Fun project but I don't know where on earth I put the thing or ever take the time to actually use it after I did.
it's not that "huge" I made the ammunition feeding post a little taller then most of the ones folks have made, 17 inches, in order to load 3 clips instead of 2. only reason I showed it loading 2 is I have a ancient camera with only 45 seconds of internal memory.

the base I made a bit bigger 14x10 inches to be more stable. now, if it was made from steel, like all the ones I have seen, then the weight of the thing wouldn't need to have a larger base. it just looks "huge'", but in reality it's not

as for loading "more rapidly" by hand, yes you probably can. if you able to do that, well then I applauded you for that. but for those folks, like me and 100s and 100s of thousands of other unfortunate people who sustained a injury to our hand in our youth and now paying for it decades later. or, suffer from other hand or finger joint alignments and own a Garand, loading one clip isn't like YOU loading one clip. it's a bit of a tedious task. this machine makes the task far more easier to load a clip and fun

but thank you for pointing it out how slow it would be in loading a clip, I'll keep that in mind when I'm using it.

Last edited by UncleBilly; 10-30-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:22 AM

That is really cool, I love it!
Old 10-30-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggtim View Post
That is really cool, I love it!
thank you, and welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycanoe44 View Post
I watched your short video and HOLY CRAP that is slicker than heck. Great job!!! Love the Nameplate��
thanks mycanoe44 . like I stated, what's a machine without a data plated

my winter project for this year is to fabricate a "hopper thingy".

Last edited by UncleBilly; 10-30-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:31 PM

I noticed you made sure the top round is to the right. If you load one-handed like I do with the side of your hand against the op rod handle that makes it easier to load the clip in the receiver by pushing down on a round with your thumb instead of pushing into a gap in the clip.

Last edited by Ronwall; 10-30-2018 at 07:34 PM.