Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2018, 10:11 AM

Default Philippine Returns - how do they match up?

First and foremost Happy Thanksgiving all! I figured Iíd wait to post the question until Philippine returns thoroughly flooded the CMP and made their way to our doorsteps. My query is how do the Phillipine returns compare to previous return batches and if they are worth the mail-order gamble?

Iíve been the recipient of Greek returns, Turkish returns, and armory rebuilds. All were great in their own ways but the Turkish returns generally required more TLC (far more ďpatinaĒ than previous batches, parts wear, varnish on stocks or hackberry, etc). What are some characteristics of the Philippine returns?

I ask as I am convincing myself one way or the other on pulling the trigger for a FG IHC....letís be honest I probably will anyways!

Thoughts?
Old 11-22-2018, 10:30 AM

I cannot answer your question definitively, but can say that when (and if) offered for sale by CMP, the same rating criteria would apply for throat and muzzle wear, and for headspacing. Most certainly, these rifles will have wear and tear, scratches, dings, and replacement parts.

The Philippine Army probably used these rifles far longer than other countries, and the climate there is hot and HUMID. Humidity does affect the finish of these rifles, as I learned in Florida when in military training. All you had to do was look at your M1 (or not) and it would rust from the humid conditions.

A recent gun magazine article showed some rather dismal Philippines storage conditions for firearms. It included M1 Garands, as well as Japanese Arisakas and almost every other type of firearm, many just stacked in piles in a warehouse. Probably many of those M1's would be included in returns to the US. If CMP doesn't clean them up, hopefully their pricing will take that factor into account.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:32 AM

The two Ive received this fall I would rate as Good. Better than my previous Turks.
No Collector parts at all. All USGI wood, but very dirty throughout.

Still it fits the CMPs description and I am overall pleased with what I got..
Old 11-22-2018, 10:34 AM

I had bought a Turk return at the South Store in April on my way down to the Alabama Spring scrimmage in Tuscaloosa (service grade WIN-13 with original barrel) and it was all-too-typically well-worn, tarnished, and ugly. Two weeks later I traded it locally for a CMP US arsenal maintained handsome WRA with a A-suffix serial number. Two Saturdays ago, I traveled to the South South to deliver some Garand stock sets to a friend who lives in Anniston and decided to pick up some of the Creedmoor ammo on half-price sale. To do so, I had to buy a rifle, so I picked out a Filipino return service grade Garand. At 2PM pickins' were slim but I found a '45 SA with original barrel and WRA stock. Dirtiest, grimiest rifle I ever held in my hands. It took a lot of elbow grease but it ended up with a very attractive deep olive metal finish and high-quality mahogany-hued stock set. Even with a 2+ MW, I was cranking out 7/8" 50-yard groups with hand loads Monday. Back to the range today to see what it will do at 100/200 yards.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:41 AM

Ordering an IHC now would give you a much better chance of getting nice usgi wood then in previous months
Old 11-22-2018, 10:43 AM

If you order a $980 IHC FG you are risking receiving one with hackberry wood and the only thing guaranteed to be IHC production is the receiver. I just can't stand the thought of spending that much then getting hackberry wood and a bunch of undesirable parts. Not worth the risk to me. I think your chances of getting a nice rifle for a good price through mail order are much better if you order a SA/HRA service grade. There's been several reports of decent SA/HRA field grades being received in the New Order Timeline thread so that may be an option too. Either way you'll save yourself at least $230 and with the SA/HRA service grades chances are you'll get a nicer rifle.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:48 AM

I purchased a Philippine Garand a week ago at the South Store. It was rated Field Grade, mainly because the finish is worn and the stock is dark with numerous small dings. The lower stock is an H&R and the hammer is a Winchester part. Everything else seems to be SA.

However, the ME is a 1 and TE is a 2 and the bore is bright and shiny. It went through rebuild at the Tooele Ordnance Depot in Feb., 1966, according to the etching. The barrel is dated 11-47 and it's a six digit Jan., 1942, SA receiver. The gas tube is rock solid... no wiggle at all.

After I field stripped it, cleaned a little and lubed where necessary, the action is slick as can be and it has a decent trigger. I won't get to shoot it for about 10 days but I'm looking forward to it as I think it'll be fine. Cleaning up the dark stock will be a later project this Winter. For $650 I'm more than pleased.

BTW, they also had another SA on the rack with a ME of 0 and TE of 1. It was Service Grade and $750.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennboy View Post
Man this thread is building up fast!
I like it! I appreciate all the informed responses as well. I figured the humidity would do itís fair share of damage to these returns, Iím Florida local and have also experienced its effects. Iím almost wondering if the dirt and grime might have protective values much like a truck leaking oil, a diamond in the rough. With a little elbow grease you can have a beautiful specimen underneath Iím sure.

Iíve also debated the SA/HRA FG as well due to the above mentioned points. Iíd like to avoid hackberry at all costs, sticky for USGI wood, and hope for the best. Iím now at a toss up again between the two. I failed to consider the amount of IHCs provided to Turkey, also a good point.

Hmmm...
Old 11-22-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubs43 View Post
I purchased a Philippine Garand a week ago at the South Store. It was rated Field Grade, mainly because the finish is worn and the stock is dark with numerous small dings. The lower stock is an H&R and the hammer is a Winchester part. Everything else seems to be SA.

However, the ME is a 1 and TE is a 2 and the bore is bright and shiny. It went through rebuild at the Tooele Ordnance Depot in Feb., 1966, according to the etching. The barrel is dated 11-47 and it's a six digit Jan., 1942, SA receiver. The gas tube is rock solid... no wiggle at all.

After I field stripped it, cleaned a little and lubed where necessary, the action is slick as can be and it has a decent trigger. I won't get to shoot it for about 10 days but I'm looking forward to it as I think it'll be fine. Cleaning up the dark stock will be a later project this Winter. For $650 I'm more than pleased.

BTW, they also had another SA on the rack with a ME of 0 and TE of 1. It was Service Grade and $750.
I wound up with that rifle. It's a beautiful 5.97 and everything is clean and correct. While I was there I also picked up a 2.58 FG. The stock is a nice JLG, it has a modified 35382-WRA op rod, a correct -12 trigger group and with the exception of having a LMR barrel all the other parts are of WW2 origin. Not bad for $650. Both rifles are Philippine returns.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
I wound up with that rifle. It's a beautiful 5.97 and everything is clean and correct. While I was there I also picked up a 2.58 FG. The stock is a nice JLG, it has a modified 35382-WRA op rod, a correct -12 trigger group and with the exception of having a LMR barrel all the other parts are of WW2 origin. Not bad for $650. Both rifles are Philippine returns.
You did very well. Now you've made me regret not getting that SG instead of my FG.

Just kidding. I'm pleased with my Garand. I was hooked when I saw the six digit serial number. I'm sure you'll give that SG rifle a good home.