Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2018, 01:41 AM

Default Sporterized Garand Opinions

Ran into a guy today that had an interesting sporterized Garand. It belonged to his father that has passed away and he does not know anything about the rifle. He asked me about the value of the rifle as he was thinking of selling it. I tried explaining that it has lost all military collector value therefore would not be worth much. To me it was worth no more than $300-350, someone else might be willing to pay more. He was pretty disappointed at that figure.

The value is very subjective on these rifles and it is difficult trying to research the value because not many sporterized Garand come up for sale as compared to 03s, Mausers, Arisakas, etc.

Opinions on the rifle and value.
Actually a pretty nice looking rifle. Serial number is in the 4.27 million.

Pictures added 12/18

Last edited by lemmonhead; 12-19-2018 at 01:13 AM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 12-15-2018, 02:01 AM

Thats one of the best looking sporterized Garands I've seen. I'd agree the value on something like that is very subjective and will vary widely by individual. To me it would be worth quite a bit more than what it is to you, I'd give at least double your number, possibly more, to buy that gun, obviously it will never be brought back to its original configuration but I see the work that was put into it and appreciate it for what it is now. The one thing that would change my opinion would be if it was a re-weld receiver. I'm also curious to hear others comments.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:45 AM

Well I would agree with whats been said as that is one of the better sporterized M1's.

Thing about that rifle is it is really only worth what someone would pay for it. I see this rifle like I see some of these classic cars that have been restored with a modern look and modern parts, sure I may not want it, but I can appreciate the work that went into it. I personally wouldn't give more than a few hundred dollars for it, but others may pay more. GunBroker may be the best bet, but even then you're hoping the right people see it.

I would still be curious what barrel is on it and see pictures of the trigger area and other areas that are not pictured if there is any customized work.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:19 AM

I can see the attraction of putting a scope and mount on a Garand, but i don't care for the etching at all. What would be the function? Hunting rifle I suppose. I wonder how accurate it is? Not my style, so I wouldn't buy it but someone might like it. I would suggest listing on GB for the minimum the seller would take and see if it gets bids.
BTW - I got a real nice 03 Sporter for like $300 with scope and mount a few years back. Market seems soft for sporters with some great deals out there for buyers.

Last edited by Army MSG; 12-15-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:19 AM

I wonder how it shot like that!
Old 12-15-2018, 08:53 AM

A sporterized Winchester M1 sold earlier this year at a local gun shop for $1,100. It was on the rack for a couple months before it sold.

https://imgur.com/a/xThdMgZ

(I would have paid $500- $600 for it myself.)
Old 12-15-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMPCF50 View Post
A sporterized Winchester M1 sold earlier this year at a local gun shop for $1,100. It was on the rack for a couple months before it sold.

https://imgur.com/a/xThdMgZ

(I would have paid $500- $600 for it myself.)
Nice. Is that a WRA rear sight on it? Nice early SN, if it had other WRA parts could have been worthwhile.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:56 AM

There were articles in The American Rifleman and a Williams Gunsight book that included sporterizing the M1 in the 50s and 60s. M1s were not readily available before the modern CMP and never favored for modification for hunting rifles. The OPs M1 rifle is unique in the amount and quality of workmanship it has received. It is remenisant of the European schuetzen rifles. "Value" is difficult to determine. It will be "worth" whatever it brings when sold or possibly determined by an insurance asessor. I often see rifles that are "too good" for the auction or whatever venue they go through. Unique items need exposure through the Internet and a proper venue for sale. This means "Proxibid", Gunbroker, Guns America, Rockford Island or something similar. A follow-up report would be appreciated. Good Shooting. ..
Old 12-15-2018, 09:59 AM

There was a real nice sporter that sold on GB not too long ago for around $1100, but it was also a conversion to accept detachable mags. Anyway, I don’t own a sporter but I would eventually like to have one. Just a part of milsurp history.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:20 AM

The trigger housing has the same scroll work as the rest of rifle. I was able to remove the housing, all IHC, but unable to remove the receiver from the stock with a moderate amount of force. No idea on the op rod. The barrel contour has been modified and all markings have been polished away. I wish I would have taken a few more pictures.

The owner has no idea on the history of the rifle other than his father had owned it for some time. He knows very little about firearms in general but does know that he wants more than what I offered.