Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2010, 12:50 PM

Default Arsenal rebuild knowledge

Hello everyone,

I have all the Duff books and have searched the internet, but I can't seem to find too much info about arsenal rebuilt Garands.

Can anyone guide me to sites on the internet to gain knowledge from?

Lists of marks and their meanings?
Electropencils?
Barrels made in the 60's?
Cartouches?

Pro's/con's to arsenal rebuilt Garands?

Thanks in advance.
JHT

M1 Garand JCG Match: Bronze (4) Silver (1)
03 Springfield JCG Match: Bronze (9) Silver (3)
Foreign Military Rifle Match (Swedish Mauser): Bronze (1)
M1 Carbine Match: Bronze (1)

Camp Perry 2014:
M1 Carbine Silver
Swedish Mauser Bronze

EIC points: 4
Old 09-06-2010, 01:36 PM

Here's some of the marks fouond on stocks and receivers.
AAA,AN,A4 - Anniston Army Depot
AA - Augusta Arsenal
AHA - USMC Arsenal
BA - Benecia Arsenal
LE - Letterkenny Ordnance Depot (orange triangle on pistol grip) or LEAD
OG - Ogden Arsenal
MR - Mt. Rainier Ordnance Depot
RA - Raritan Arsenal
RR - Red River Arsenal
RIA - Rock Island Arsenal
RRA - Red River Arsenal
SAA - San Antonio Arsenal
SA - Springfield Armory
Std Prod - Standard Products
TE - Tooele Ordnance Depot
Old 09-06-2010, 02:19 PM

The arsenal rebuild remains a fertile field for M1 research as well as a relatively low cost niche for the M1 collector. Back in the late 1990s and early into the Y2K decade the CMP was shipping thousand of freshly rebuilt M1s that came right of of US depots and storage facilities. The Greek and Danish returns were unknown back then. Then arsenal rebuilds came marked from a variety of sources (Red River seemed to be very common) and a fellow could have built up a mighty fine collection of various rebuilds for not much money. The $400 Service Grades back then (five per year) might well have been a rebuild from Red River with a brand new 1960's dated barrel, all update parts and one of those fresh USGI birch replacement stocks (with the orange color that I absolutely love) which was never reissued after it left the depot, it just sat in storage. These rifles were easily a match for the high dollar "Special Grades" that the CMP sell now at double the price. Unfortunately the supply of US M1s ran out and it all became foreign returns from then on.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:32 PM

I have two arsenal marked (etchopens) receivers, one is marked RRAD 67 on one of the receiver legs, and another (one you'll appreciate) has an O-68 (rumored to be a Marine Corps arsenal mark).
Old 09-06-2010, 02:50 PM

The pro to having an arsenal rebuild is the rifle has so little rounds have been through it since the rifle was out of main service. This is of course you have one that is marked on the receiver typically in the 60s. I dont know how to tell in the 40s or 50s rebuilds.

But they usually have new barrels that have few rounds through them so they are pretty accurate rifles. All parts should function. There again you know most are 40 years old after the rebuild so who knows who buggered it up.

They make great shooters if you not worried about a matching rifle and dont care about value.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:03 PM

I got my "one per lifetime" M1 back in '83. It's a 3.7 SA. Has RRAD 7-66 on the receiver leg and a pristine 12-65 SA barrel. It had one of those orange birch stocks on it that I couldn't get rid of quick enough. I bought a fabulous SA/NFR stock for it at the old Sherwood International in Northridge (an L.A. suburb) for the whooping sum of $19.95 and then glass-bedded it. Hey, at the time they were only $19.95 and they had 100's of them. We all figured they'd be around forever. 20-20 hind-sight is always a curse, I know. Anyway, I was working in a gun store in the late 80's when the Blue Sky's were plentiful. Needless to say my 3.7 was turned into an all-correct grade. I even had a SA 2-45 barrel installed on it about that time as well. Long story short, it now wears that SA 12-65 barrel again because on some close examination (some 20 years later) I found out why it wasn't shooting very good groups (see my posting on why I no longer trust a mw gage). Now, after all these years it kinda' makes me wish I'd've left it as it was the day I received it. Oh well, we grow old too soon and smart too late.
It's the one in the middle.
Jon

Last edited by musketjon; 09-06-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:36 PM

Just wanted to share a few photos of a HRA 5.7 rebuild I picked up locally. A4 (Anniston) 1965. Love the one.
http://img688.imageshack.us/i/img1612d.jpg/
http://img688.imageshack.us/i/img1615pj.jpg/
http://img688.imageshack.us/i/img1616g.jpg/

Last edited by sral289; 09-06-2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Add information
Old 09-06-2010, 07:43 PM

Marked LEAD 12-65(christmas rebuild).
Too soon ve git old,und too late ve gets smart.

My old shooting buddy admitted he sanded that orange triangle off his stock.

Last edited by jerryjeff; 09-06-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarheadteacher View Post
Hello everyone,

I have all the Duff books and have searched the internet, but I can't seem to find too much info about arsenal rebuilt Garands.

Can anyone guide me to sites on the internet to gain knowledge from?

Lists of marks and their meanings?
Electropencils?
Barrels made in the 60's?
Cartouches?

Pro's/con's to arsenal rebuilt Garands?

Thanks in advance.
JHT
If you can find a copy of the Dec. 2003 "American Rifleman" you will find a very good article on rebuilds. It is called "In the System: M1 Garand Rebuilds" by Bruce N. Canfield. The article is about 5 + pages and covers just about everything you asked about.

The various issues of the GCA Journals also have quite a few articles about "rebuilds" such as the "The O-66 Rifles" by Jeremy Cheek and "It may not be Just a Rebuild" by Bruce Canfield.

There are no "cons" that I can think of regarding "Rebuilds," as long as, over the years, they have remained just as they were when they left the rebuild facility. Rebuilds in the original rebuilt condition are becoming, or already are, collectables in there own right. Semper Fi
Old 09-06-2010, 07:56 PM

Here is on with original barrel, I love them to. I have a 12-64 or 5 also. I will have to check on that .