Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2019, 06:10 PM

Default GAW stock opinion needed

I got this GAW stock on a CMP Rifle so I don't question its provenance, however it seems odd the Inspector stamp is to the right of the crossed cannons? Can either stamp alternate? Most every example i've seen its the inspector stamp then the crossed cannons. Two circle P's on the grip as well. Thanks for any opinions. Pics below.

edit--few more pictures

Last edited by 2A7X1; 11-12-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:20 PM

I have had several authentic stocks with the cannon on the left. Sometimes it happens, not horribly uncommon. It was proofed a second time in a rebuild. (Not all rebuilds marked the stock, later rebuilds were marked on the receiver). Nice looking stock!
Old 11-12-2019, 06:29 PM

That is one heck of a nice stamp I see 2 serif P's, but I was always under the impression that all rebuilds used non serif P's ????
Edit: I read some documents on these and from what I read SA was the only one to use the serif P in rebuild, but if that is the case it should also have a DAS stamp by the GAW and almost certainly would have been bedded. I think that P may have been double struck from the get go.

Last edited by Joturkey; 11-12-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joturkey View Post
That is one heck of a nice stamp I see 2 serif P's, but I was always under the impression that all rebuilds used non serif P's ????
Edit: I read some documents on these and from what I read SA was the only one to use the serif P in rebuild, but if that is the case it should also have a DAS stamp by the GAW and almost certainly would have been bedded. I think that P may have been double struck from the get go.
SA also used a circled san-serif P on some of their rebuilds.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:21 AM

As said above, the two proof “P’s” means that the GAW stamp, Ordnance Wheel, and 2nd proof were applied during a rebuild, rather than as production stamps

Last edited by TSimonetti; 11-13-2019 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:36 AM

A 2nd proof P may be just a 2nd firing of the rifle if all else was fine. If no rebuild mark was found this is the most likely scenario. While cannons on the left is not a common practice it has been seen during different commanders and on Winchesters also. Rick B
Old 11-13-2019, 08:46 AM

It could be just a second proof as Rick B. stated - but keep in mind the SA GAW stamp was also used as a rebuild stamp too. I have a Winchester stock with the SA GAW & crossed cannon stamp plus two circled P proofs. I have seen or owned both a 1903A3 stock and 1903A1 pistol grip stock with the SA GAW rebuild stamp. Both 03 stocks had two P circled proof stamps.

Sometimes the second P stamp is without serifs
Old 11-13-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7,62x51mm View Post
It could be just a second proof as Rick B. stated - but keep in mind the SA GAW stamp was also used as a rebuild stamp too. I have a Winchester stock with the SA GAW & crossed cannon stamp plus two circled P proofs.

Sometimes the second P stamp is without serifs
I have a Winchester stock exactly as you described only it has a NFR stamp instead of a GAW. The second P has no serifs

Last edited by Ronwall; 11-13-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Correct me if I'm wrong, if this is the original cartouche wouldn't it have the small cross cannons on the grip? If a rebuild cartouche would it be lacking the small cannons grip stamp?
Old 11-13-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, if this is the original cartouche wouldn't it have the small cross cannons on the grip? If a rebuild cartouche would it be lacking the small cannons grip stamp?
I think you are correct. The WRA NFR stock I spoke of does not have the small crossed cannons on the grip and no trace of a WRA stamp or WRA large cannons however I sent pics of the two P's on the grip and the NFR stamp & cannons to Rob 30-06. Rob said one of the P's looks to be WRA so unfortunately for me SA did a good job in sanitizing that stock during the SA NFR rebuild period.