Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2019, 08:48 AM

Default Mounting/Setup of USGI NOS M3 sniper scope base

I just I just picked up one of these from another member in the marketplace. Can anybody direct me to proper installation and setup learning materials?
Old 12-05-2019, 10:14 AM

Do you have a M3 modified stock?
Old 12-05-2019, 10:43 AM

No, but I'm sure I can buy a stock to booger up and modify as needed depending on what's involved
Old 12-05-2019, 12:06 PM

Is your plan to use a standard scope.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:40 PM

Or this one?
Old 12-05-2019, 05:05 PM

If stock does not have a long channel then no modification is needed.
If it does you need to remove material for the barrel mount.

The handguard will need to be modified.
Basically the bar and barrel mount need to be installed.
Line up the handguard and mark front and rear of barrel mount to the HG with a little extra.
Then material needs to be removed to clear the barrel mount. Or you can find a modified HG online.
I can send you the procedure if you like
Old 12-06-2019, 12:08 AM

6 Ring, I don't know what a standard scope versus "this one" means.

New2Brass, while I appreciate your input I'm afraid it's not terribly instructive to me for how to proceed. If there is a procedure, then, yes I'm sure we would like to see it.

Last edited by kmad2001; 12-06-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:18 AM

The scope is a Weaver 330 and most commonly used on sniper carbines because they can be found. M73B1 or M8 scopes are found on carbines but are expensive. I have seen M82/M84 scopes on carbines also.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:17 AM

Can tap out the rear peep site but I'm not understanding how to attache the rear of the mount to the receiver.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:07 AM

Assemble the forward barrel mounting block to the barrel and check it;s alignment. Once you're satisfied that it is clearing the front of the stock when you insert the barreled action in the stock and the front of the slide is not striking it then tighten it down. With action removed from stock insert the upper hand guard and leave the nut and with washer on the barrel mounting block loose. Once this done start tapping the rear long part of the mount with dovetail into the dove tail of the rear sight. from right to left with bore facing away from you. Tap the dovetail over until it is centered inside the rear sight dovetail. As you're doing this insure that the front of the mount is started on the threaded section protruding thru the slotted front handguard. Once you are satisfied that the dovetail portion is equally spaced in the rear dovetail insert the little threaded shims and tighten them followed by the little jam nuts. You can tight the threaded shims by inserting a screw driver into the slot on either side of them. They don't have to be crazy tight. Install the washer and nut on the threaded bolt protruding out of the front hand guard and tighten it. Install the front ring in the dovetail on the mount and insure it's lined up with the axis of the barrel. Leave the ring screws loose and insert your scope thru i. Remove the rear eyepiece from your scope and insert the rear rings on the scope provided you are using the horizontal split rings. Skip this step if you are using standard split rings and just insert the rear split rings and align scope as far forward as you can for eye relief and align crosshairs. Tighten the rings and go sight it in.