Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2019, 05:57 PM

Default Korean Surplus 30 Carbine Ammunition

Just saw this at SGAmmo:

https://www.sgammo.com/product/30-ca...and-bandoliers

Any thoughts? If it's really PMC and non-corrosive, it seems like a solid deal. The clips and banoliers are a bonus...

Best,

-SlimeDog
Old 12-09-2019, 06:05 PM

Over the years I shot a lot of PMC 30 carbine ammo and never had any problems. Seems like a good deal.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:50 PM

I saw the same email and came here looking for info. Mostly curious why Korea was producing military .30 carbine ammo in the 80s? Does seem like a deal as similarly dressed Lake City ammo seems to bring $550-$600 on this board. But if you don’t care about the military dress the new commercial Fiocchi that SG was selling for 30 cpr was cheaper.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:25 PM

Packaging is nice and I am good with PMC quality....but it seems SO WRONG for 40 year old surplus to cost me more than brand new ammunition.

I”ll hang around and wait for a sale. If I miss it? I”ll buy PPU, Fiocchi, etc cheaper.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug_dude View Post
I saw the same email and came here looking for info. Mostly curious why Korea was producing military .30 carbine ammo in the 80s? Does seem like a deal as similarly dressed Lake City ammo seems to bring $550-$600 on this board. But if you don’t care about the military dress the new commercial Fiocchi that SG was selling for 30 cpr was cheaper.
A Korean guy at my range shot an M1 Carbine once during his conscription in the late 80s when he said he was at a regional military training event. He carried an M16 otherwise. They were maintained as war reserve for a while, so not unreasonable for them to make ammo.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:02 PM

I'm new to Carbines, but in the Garand world you avoid Korean surplus ammo like the plague. That surplus 30 06 have blown up many garands. Does this stuff have a better record?
Old 12-09-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nates4Christ View Post
I'm new to Carbines, but in the Garand world you avoid Korean surplus ammo like the plague. That surplus 30 06 have blown up many garands. Does this stuff have a better record?
I have not heard of any issues with Korean 30 Carbine.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nates4Christ View Post
You got that right . Split the stock on my Dad's M1 Garand during a Service rifle Match. Two hot primers in a row!!!
Old 12-10-2019, 02:41 AM

I received the same email while I was at work. I checked stock and there was only 13 available. I looked again just a few minutes later and there were only 10. I thought they were flying off the shelf so I was ready to spring on 2 cans. That came to a screeching halt when I saw the additional $54 in tax.

Several hours later, I get home and check again, and there are still 12 in stock, so it looks like they aren't going as fast as it first seemed. I was thinking along the same lines as above. I still have a little bit of LC left, and I picked up some PPU for much less than this stuff. I think I am going to have to start passing on the surplus stuff and just get modern quality at a better price. The original draw to surplus was the low price.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:14 AM

Ouch. What's the sales tax rate in Florida?

Old thread I found on Korean carbine ammo
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=7307