Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 05:34 AM

Default M1D/C Barrel

I was looking through the Duff serial number & Data book last night for parts from my M1s.
Noticed I had a S-A-2-52 barrel with no other markings from a FG I bought this summer. The Duff books says this barrel is for M1Ds and M1Cs. Is this true? If so do they carry a premium? I would suspect these barrels are quite common?
ME = 1.5 and TE = 4

Old 10-27-2010, 06:13 AM

From 1952-1953 M1 rifles were converted to M1D by removing the standard M1 barrel and adding a barrel with a scope mount base on the left side just forward of the receiver. M1D barrels were given a drawing number "D7312555" on top of the barrel just under the rear handguard and later barrels were stamped on the right side under the op rod. M1C rifles were basically M1's, manufactured from serial # 3.0 million through 3.8 million, drilled for a scope mount on the left side of the receiver. Only about 8,000 M1C's were produced. Hope this helps!
Old 10-27-2010, 08:18 AM

Exclamation

It needs to have one of these on it:

for it to be an M1D barrel with the drawing number wstanley noted under the rear handguard.

The barrel date and lack of drawing number doesn't mean it's a sniper rifle barrel. I have 2 1952 barrels with the same markings (or lack of).

Larry
Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 AM

OK, so the scope mount is actually part of the barrel that cannot be removed.
That clears it up.
Thanks guys!!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 AM

This brings another question to mind. Why so many variations with barrel stamps?
Isn't manufacturer and date enough? Like S-A-2-52 pictured above? Or perhaps a code for caliber I could see. Drawing number but why is it left out on some barrels and not others?

Never thought all this M1 stuff would be so complicated.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:52 AM

Hunter Mag , you think M1s are complicated , take a look at the carbines~! LOL. I enjoy the M1s but do not get to caught up in the fine print , internal parts and such. I purchased the carbines when they were offered and have not changed a thing on them as I have no idea where to start. Good luck. Tom
Old 10-27-2010, 12:49 PM

No, you can remove the scope mounting block. Look at the pics you will see a pin that can be removed and the barrel was shaved on a lathe and the block pressed on. So in theory you can remove it. Why you would want to I dont know it would be worth more with the block than without.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate19 View Post
Hunter Mag , you think M1s are complicated , take a look at the carbines~! LOL. I enjoy the M1s but do not get to caught up in the fine print , internal parts and such. I purchased the carbines when they were offered and have not changed a thing on them as I have no idea where to start. Good luck. Tom
I've guessed that about the carbines and don't own any.

With some here finding gem parts ect and seeing some NM OP rods at the N. store I've been wanting to look at my M1s a little closer. Barrels I don't really pay attention to other than manufacturer and date.
So last night I decided to check a few things and saw in the Duff book info on NM and M1Ds & Cs that I've never payed attention to before. Checked my 2.03 FG that has a -2 bolt with a heat lot of RE2 and thought the barrel of S-A-2-52 was unique due to the lack of other stamps. Saw it in the M1D section on page 90 which lead to this thread. I also saw other info here that stated some M1D barrels were used on other rifles which evidently isn't true due to the scope block and barrel hole.

Seems like every time I think I have something special or have something figured out, no cigar. lol
Most of the time I don't pay much attention to parts except when I first purchase the rife. Specs are my main concern(ME,TE and OP rod piston diameter)plus furnture condition.
I'm not a "collector" just a shooter but have aquired a couple nice SGs of late that look like correct grades.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:57 PM

Also note that NM op rods are really nothing special either so don't get too excited about those. They are basically just another post war op rod.

Larry
Old 10-27-2010, 09:08 PM

Just a little note to clarify...

Not all M1D barrels had the drawing number stamped on top (under the handguard when assembled), some have the drawing number on the side in the typical location.

There's probably a particular month-year where it was changed, but I don't have any of my literature/notes handy.