Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2010, 03:37 PM

Default Any CMP Basic cloth shooting coat reviews?

What are the CMP Basic cloth shooting coat reviews? If Creedmor made them, and the CMP sells them, Id assume good quality.

Id wear it 5-10 times a year at most. Top of the line coats seem to be in the $300 and up price range. Some get real pricey. I cant justify that expense as casual and sporadic competitor.

Does anyone recommend them? With sizing so important, how do the sizes run compared to something like the M65 field jackets? Or do these adjust for different body type?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:19 PM

I have a Creedmore basic shooting coat. It's much lighter than the creedmore canvas coat. THE CMP coat I understand that the CMP basic is the same as the Creedmore, if so, its worth the price. Next time I'm going for the Creedmore canvas for the extra $50. For $140 the canvas from creedmore is a real nice coat. Creedmore sizes are ordered by chest size, go on the creedmore site under shooting coats, it shows how to measure for a coat.
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena....
Old 10-29-2010, 05:43 PM

Thanks Kimber.

I am shooing in a JCG mathc on Saturday. I hope to see one there, as well as others.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:57 PM

Good luck in the match! I finished 3rd in a JCG match 3 weeks ago, had alot of fun. I'm sure you'll see a variety of coats at the match.
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena....
Old 10-30-2010, 12:58 AM

Exclamation

Wearing a basic coat is about the same as wearing a shoulder pad and elbow pads under or over a cloth or canvas coat except that the coat, elbow pads and shoulder pad are cheaper. The basic coats provide no support where it's needed and neither do the Creedmoor canvas coats. Honestly, they are not really a good investment. Buy the elbow and shoulder pads, use them with your canvas Carhart coat for a couple of years and save for a real coat for competition (Creedmoor Heavy) if you choose to continue competing. The whole reason for having a coat for competition is for support in the slow standing position. Basic coats don't provide any. Imagine leaning on a post when you shoot slow standing. That's what it's like shooting with a Creedmoor heavy coat.

The other option is to keep a very close eye on eBay for used Creedmoor or other manufacturer heavy or leather coats that are used. They are there almost all the time and sometimes sell as cheap as a basic coat. My first competition coat was an older Champions Choice all leather coat in perfect condition I bought on eBay for $160. I used it for several years, saved up my money and bought a new Creedmoor heavy at Christmas time last year during their yearly $50 discount. I sold the Champs Choice coat for $150 3 years after buying it. You should also check Creedmoors "in stock" coats on their Website. Some really good deals show up there often.

Larry
Old 10-30-2010, 08:23 AM

I'm new to shooting high power, last year. Only interested in the Garand, no poodle-shooting/mouse guns here. Hav'nt bought a coat yet. Been using a sweatshirt & Past recoil pad, that's it. Have shot 7 JC Garand matches, 1 Cross Course match, and the Florida Sunshine Games match. Prone scores now, consistently in the 90's. Offhand, finally can keep all on paper, with no misses! Scores - mid 70's. I figured I wanted to get the basics down, and be a functional shooter, before I load up on the "crutches", err coats & accessorries! Have heard others say the hardback coat is (as Larry said) like being strapped to a pole, to keep you steady/supported. I don't only want to be able to shoot 200 yards standing, and hit the black, if I'm "strapped to a pole".
The coat-ribbing finished, I plan on getting the Creedmoor hardback, when they go on sale this Christmas. Called and confirmed, their holiday sale will include them again.
Since they are a legal piece of high power equipment, I'd only be hurting myself, not to benefit from one.
Maybe someday, there 'll be a real "as issued" match. I don't recall hearing about the U.S. infantry-men, using coats/mats, etc.?
Old 10-30-2010, 03:13 PM

There is nothing like a hard back coat. I find mine handy whenever I go to the range. With just the top 2 or 3 buckles fastened, so as not to restrict movement at the bench, I find I don't get beat up recoil wise.

I can shoot 100 or more shots off the bench with no ill effects. I've found it to be indispensable for almost all my rifle shooting.

Mark H
Old 10-30-2010, 07:29 PM

A shooting coat is not just for support. The elbow, shoulder and arm (sling) pads are extreamly important. They serve to dampen recoil, brachial (arm) pulse and prevent slipping--elbow, buttplate and sling. I used a 10X canvas coat for years before I ever tried on a hardback coat. The heavy leather pads ad rubber elbow cups on the 10X are the best--but no support whatsoever. Tried a Creedmore hardback last year. It was hot and awkward/ucomfortable compared to the 10X. I felt it could improve my offhand, but I don't buy into this idea of 10 point gains or the telephone pole analogy. The Creedmore also stiffened up the other positions as well. I will order a fitted Creedmore or similar coat as a result of my experience--tall size and with leather sleeves, I think. I will not expect much help with my offhand but it certainly won't hurt. As far as the CMP light coats--my opinion is save your money. I use a soft leather A2 flight jacket in cold weather. It works almost as well as the 10X--the leather grips well and with a vest or sweater under it plenty of padding and I can take any degree of cold. Just buy an A2. You won't look good going to dinner or the movies in a CMP shooting jacket and they have an unpleasant odor as well... Good Shooting......
Old 10-30-2010, 09:34 PM

Thumbs up

The hardback with the leather sleeves is what I bought. I love it. I think the hardbacks with the cordura sleeves would take 5 years to break in. They are as stiff as a board. I tried a friend's before I bought my coat and felt like a frozen Penguin. His was new and I could hardly bend my elbows in the coat. The leather sleeves are flexible and much more comfortable. It fely broken in on my first match with it. The best option IMHO.

Larry
Old 10-31-2010, 10:05 AM

There's more to the Basic canvas coats than folks give them credit for.
The pads are in the right places allowing one to hang their support elbow on a pad and help with offhand support.
The pad on the arm does dampen pulse some.
The pad on the arm allows one to run the sling as tight as it should be without causing bruising. This pad also does better for holding the sling place than a bare coat.
The pads on the elbows do a lot to keep in position when the recoil tries to knock you out. Especially when you are set up on even the basic Midway shooting mat with rubber.
The pads in the shoulder make shooting a 30 cal a non-issue as far as bruising.
With a sweatshirt or something else medium weight underneath they do provide some stiffening(back support) for offhand.
For 140 bucks the canvas coat is the way to go for a new, casual competitor.
One word of advice though. The inside of the canvas coat is very rough and you will scrape the hide off of your trigger elbow shooting a 30 cal in prone. Wear something on that elbow when shooting prone.