Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > Parts For Sale or Trade > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2010, 08:30 PM

Default Carbine Type 2 Rear Sight Problem

I have a type 2 sight that is missing the small spring and ball that holds pressure to the aperature. Looking for a "kit", if there is such a thing??
Old 12-03-2010, 09:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

I am nearly certain that these sights were not meant to be repaired. I don't believe there is a "repair" kit. I have with considerable effort used one reparked type 2 sight as a "donor" to provide the small spring, detent ball, and aperture to restore a carbine that appeared to be original and correct with exception of a missing aperture.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

Best just to replace the whole rear sight.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:37 PM

You might contact the Collector Source guy. He is parting out front bands, front sights, and rear sights off of demilled carbines. He might have some damaged ones that have the needed replacement parts for you. He's a good guy to deal with.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:42 PM

Default It can be fixed!

I repaired mine by using the ball and spring from a "Zerk" grease fitting. If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a link to a good photo, too large to post here.
http://www.duraflexinternational.com/images/zerk.jpg

Take the fitting, lock it in a set of Vise-Grip's, using your bench grinder, grind off the crimp on the threaded end. As soon as you grind past the crimp you'll fell the spring release and push back at you a little. Stop Quick! The end of the spring will instantly be hitting the grinding wheel! Pull the Vise-Grip away from the grinding wheel tilting it up or the spring and ball will fall out.

Mic the ball, pick out a letter drill to match then use the next smaller drill first, you can always re-drill but try the next smaller drill first. Carefully enlarge the hole in the bottom of the aperture, you can deepen just a tad too, go slow and you can use a hand drill.

Once you have the hole drilled and the ball drops in freely, you have to get the spring JUST the right length and that's the tricky part. It's trial and error with the spring length, careful cut only a half coil at a time until you get it just right. You'll have to use a good small set of sharp side-cutters to cut the coils, don't try to grind the spring to length, you take the temper out of it as soon as it hits the wheel.

That's how I fixed mine, as good as new! I managed to let the original ball fall out of the aperture. I saw a glint of light as it bounce once off my bench and like lug nuts in slow motion, I watch it disappear into a parallel universe, "Ohhhh Fudge" (I hate the taste of Lifebuoy, YUCK)

I looked for a hour on my hands and knees holding a flashlight in one hand and my shop light in another. I tried sweeping the entire area with a super strong magnet, didn't realize how much grinding dust and tiny drill shavings were under my bench! Forget it, you have a better chance of winning the lottery then finding one of those once the leave the bench!

Get a few Zerk Fittings at the auto supply, you'll need a few! Get the small straight on fittings, the smaller the better.

And take a large old bath towel to cover your work area before you start, those tiny ball bearing won't bounce off a towel but will a work bench!

It can be done! Good Luck!

ONLY $14.00 for a FULL year Membership http://m1collectorsclub.com

Our Wounded Vets gave so much for us. Show them YOU care!
Please support the M1 for Vets Program! NEW WEBSITE!! http://m1forvets.org
Old 12-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Default Thanks for the replys

I appreciate all the input on this matter. I had contacted Collector's Source, but he removed the damaged rear sights for sale from his web site due to a large order that came in. Still not listed. But, I will try the Zerk ball; have a couple old one in my garage that may donate the ball. That is a good idea. I had wanted to try and fix what is on the rifle, as it is a late Inland and I believe the rear sight to be original.