Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2010, 09:13 PM

Default How are you cleaning up your bayonets?

How is everyone cleaning up your bayonets? Obviously, I took mine apart and cleaned off the cosmoline with mineral spirits. But I also removed some of the green paint on the scabards, primarily on the metal. But I am debating what to do with the black finish on the metal. I am thinking of using some finish remover on the black finish. Would that work? Should I remove the black finish? This is one case where I would prefer the gray parkerizing.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 PM

My ENS arrived coated in cosmoline. It is soaking in a bath of mineral spirits. The finish is dark parkerizing and looks good. The blade is very dull, like it was ground to a rounded edge. The scabbard looks new. Eager to see what the others will bring.
Remembering my dad, a pilot in the Cactus Air Force, 11th Bombardment Group (H), flying B-17s at Epiritu Santo and Henderson Field, providing air supremacy over the Solomons for the Marines and soldiers on Guadalcanal, 1942.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:53 PM

I stripped my ENS and bathed it in mineral spirits using an old tooth brush to knock off the cosmo clumps. Mine was one of those that didn't have much finish left on it, but hey I have a 10 inch pig sticker for my Garand. I used my wife's hair dryer to melt the cosmoline out of the scabbard, something she wasn't too happy about.
My ENS Bayo
Old 12-30-2010, 04:21 PM

I soaked mine in a gallon of wd-40.. they clean right up.
Need to oil it properly afterward..

In the background of my NIW barrel project, so ignore the rifle...

Old 12-30-2010, 04:52 PM

Thumbs up Very nice;

Very nice uuuuuuuuu, bayonet and the rifle too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
I soaked mine in a gallon of wd-40.. they clean right up.
Need to oil it properly afterward..

In the background of my NIW barrel project, so ignore the rifle...

Old 12-30-2010, 04:59 PM

Default Dull?

Many on here would advise against "sharpening" your bayonet. They were after all bayonets and not knives. I suppose it's a personal choice. I would leave it be, specially if you intend to keep any collector value.

I use mineral spirits and kerosene to clean my bayonets. A 22 cleaning rod with a cloth for cleaning out the scabbard, though my scabbards so far have not been too bad. Testors modeling paints have colors to match scabbards if you need to tough up or repaint the metal tips. Or the entire scabbard for that matter. Again it's personal choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
My ENS arrived coated in cosmoline. It is soaking in a bath of mineral spirits. The finish is dark parkerizing and looks good. The blade is very dull, like it was ground to a rounded edge. The scabbard looks new. Eager to see what the others will bring.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:22 PM

Yeah, not planning to sharpen it -- it is what it is. It's not just dull, the blade is rounded off! The point is sharp enough that you would not want to catch it point on. Wonder if it had ceremonial use, like a drill team.
Remembering my dad, a pilot in the Cactus Air Force, 11th Bombardment Group (H), flying B-17s at Epiritu Santo and Henderson Field, providing air supremacy over the Solomons for the Marines and soldiers on Guadalcanal, 1942.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:07 PM

Judicious use of a small piece of Scotch-Brite pad knocks the shine off the black parkerizing in a fine manner. HTH
Old 12-31-2010, 07:05 PM

I hit mine with some brake cleaner to knock off the worst of the gunk..followed up with Hoppes...22 rod tip with patch and hoppes cleaned out the scabbard...also used hoppes and a very fine scotch brite pad on the scabbard and found in black paint stencil 2nd Bn under the green spray..left that intact
Old 12-31-2010, 08:05 PM

I completely disassembled it and wiped off most of the cosmoline with some paper towels. At the same time I set some water to boil and then took the parts outside and gave them a nice dousing with the boiling water (except the grips) which melted the rest of the cosmo right off. Everything (grips in particular) got a quick toothbrush scrub with some dish soap, then air dried in the sun for an hour or so. I then re-oiled and re-greased, then put it back together. It's in great shape, I feel pretty lucky.

Last edited by Torquemada; 12-31-2010 at 08:07 PM.