Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2011, 09:13 PM

Question Korean PS '75 M2 ball

I recently bought a batch of 700 mixed manufacture and year M2 .30 ammo. It included about 100 rounds of PS '74 and '75 headstamped ammo. I wasn't familiar with it so I made some searches and learned that some batches from Poongsan Metal Manufacturing Company in Seoul manufactured in '75 are reported to have suffered brass case ruptures.

I have a list of batches that have failed, but since I bought the rounds loose, I don't know how to determine what batches they are from. Is there anything I can do to determine if these are safe to use?

I searched the CMP forum and could not find an answer. I am hoping someone can offer advice.

If you are wondering why I bought mixed lot and manufacture ammo, it was to save money. I have purchased several spam cans of HXP lately but at 50-55 cents a round I was looking for a less expensive round to shoot at the practice range.

I shoot M2 in two Garand Rifles and a 1903 A1 Remington.

couldbfishin
Houston, TX
Old 01-24-2011, 02:04 AM

There was a lot of that ammo floating around years ago and there was enough reports that someone made up a list of what worked and what failed.
Coincidently, I sold a rifle to a guy just this weekend and he me showed some PS ammo he had picked up. I told him it was non-corrosive but I coouldn't remember anything other than that aboout it.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:06 PM

What is the good lots of PS ammo worth?
Old 02-01-2011, 06:53 PM

The really catastrophic PS failures were splits from the primer pocket outward and up the side of the case. I saw some splits in UNFIRED ammo, so a good inspection under a lighted magnifier might be worthwhile. The PS failures were no joke--high pressure gas jetting into three rifles at one match destroyed the stocks. I would not assume only some lots were affected--no one knows what kind of QC existed in Korean ammo plants. No PS for me. Wear shooting glasses if you decide to fire the PS. Good Shooting......
Old 02-01-2011, 08:44 PM

Exclamation

Seems most reported problems were with PS 75, also KA wich is corrosive primed.Please see link below,
http://pnwbands.com/m1garand/ps75.html

At one of the clubs I belong to we used many 400rnd cans of PS 74,75 for the monthly CMP matches with know issues.Thankfully, all went bang.However, case head seperation is clearly documented and I would inspect each round before use as with all surplus ammo.

Hope this helps

David H.

Tags
korean ps '75 m2 ball