Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2011, 07:22 PM

Default Aguila .22 Caliber Ammo

I've rediscovered the fun of .22 caliber firearms.

I'm thinking of getting a case of the Aguila .22 ammo. Anyone had any experience with it?

I'm mainly going to be shooting a Smith and Wesson K22 Revolver, 6 inch barrel and a Ruger 10/22 with this ammo. Anyone have any thoughts on if the extra 70 fps between the plinking and target ammo is worth the extra $70?

Thanks for your experience.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:18 PM

I'd try a small sample in the 10/22 just to make sure it feeds/functions. No problems with the revolver, they shoot everything.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:33 PM

Just to elaborate on that a bit, .22s can be a bit random in terms of which ammo they get along with and definitely it's always reassuring to try some first. That being said I just recently got some of the Golden Eagle CMP ammo and the first 250 rounds through a 10/22 went well and it seems like a good value.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:04 PM

My gun club orders it for sale in the club store. It seems to shoot very accurately, at least in my rifle. The Eley style priming seems to make it very reliable, I've never had a misfire.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:27 PM

Not wanting to wait for the Agulia from the CMP a couple of years back, , I've bought this version of the Agulia match ammo from CTD and a few others and have stuck with it.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...px?sku=AMM-060

Shot it the very old and very new 10/22's I have, S&W K22, some bolt 22's, ruger 22/45.. all of them like it, been through a few thousand rounds of it, never a miss fire.

Closed up the group on all of them compared to the cheapo bulk 22 stuff that's about $10 less a brick.
Smells good to, must be the Eley primer, reminds me of LC 30carbine smell.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 PM

So the consensus is that it is good stuff. Some of the federal I have been shooting lately seems to have more than the amount of misfires I remember from my youth.

Any opinion on whether or not the extra 70 feet per second velocity of the target ammo is worth the extra $70? Has anyone shot the standard velocity ammo and found the accuracy is abysmal?

Thanks again for your time.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:07 PM

The $230/case version has a note in the eStore that it's backordered for six months, so I've never tried it. I've seen it asserted in other threads that the more expensive stuff is only different in that they've sorted their ammo runs in some fashion. Basically an additional quality control step. Perhaps if you search you can find the details.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 PM

Yes, I love the stuff I've been getting from CTD and such for 30bux a brick.

+1 on the misfires on the cheap brick stuff, I've seen a lot of that at the Appleseed events.

I can't compare the 3 different Agulia's, but VS the cheap brick stuff, my groups are easily 1/2 that with the match Agulia.

The Agulia match ammo I buy is lower velocity or Standard at about 1080fps, the softer recoil is very noticeable, but operates with out fail all 3 of the 10/22's I have and my ruger 22/45 and SGS 22-45 auto pistols. But my little J22 pocket semi-pistol needs high velocity to cycle.

Yes, I've read that that more expensive Agulia is "blue printed", and bullets that fall out of the tighter tolerance specs for the more expensive p/n , is used in the less expensive p/n.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramit View Post
+1 on the misfires on the cheap brick stuff, I've seen a lot of that at the Appleseed events.
I saw a squib at an Appleseed - bulk Winchester .22 ammo. Nice teaching moment as they pushed the bullet back out of his barrel but I'm glad I don't have any.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:22 PM

Took a leap of faith a while ago and bought a case of Standard velocity Aquila SuperExtra from the NS. It has been excellent in the HB Ruger 10/22 I use for RF Sporter. Tried some in the Kimber and H&R--possibly not as good there, but I am not heavy into the RF world. Good Shooting....