Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 01:33 PM

Default M1 Carbine Replacement Barrels?

Does the CMP (stores) sell replacement M1 Carbine barrels? If not, any recommendations for a source? Thanks - Jim
Old 04-09-2011, 09:10 PM

I dont believe that CMP has the carbine barrels, at least yet. I know that DGR (Deans Gun Restoration) does have the Criterion carbine barrels as I have purchased one from him.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:40 PM

I would like to see Carbine parts for sale at the CMP if they aren't going to get anymore carbines in however I suspect many would stockpile them...
Old 04-12-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
I dont believe that CMP has the carbine barrels, at least yet. I know that DGR (Deans Gun Restoration) does have the Criterion carbine barrels as I have purchased one from him.
How does the Criterion barrel shoot on your carbine , how would you rate it? I'm thinking of buying one. Eddie
Old 04-12-2011, 08:07 AM

Default Carbine barrel

I bought a restored carbine with a new criterion barrel. It was not any more accurate then a good condition GI barrel. It was good, just not what I was hoping for. I also bought a new barrel from fulton armory. Same thing it was good but not any better then a average GI barrel. I ended up putting my original underwood barrel back on my rifle. The one thing I did do that drastically improved my original carbine barrel was a Cryogenic treatment.

PS: I still have the new fulton barrel I will sell cheap.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8milimeter View Post
I bought a restored carbine with a new criterion barrel. It was not any more accurate then a good condition GI barrel. It was good, just not what I was hoping for. I also bought a new barrel from fulton armory. Same thing it was good but not any better then a average GI barrel. I ended up putting my original underwood barrel back on my rifle. The one thing I did do that drastically improved my original carbine barrel was a Cryogenic treatment.

PS: I still have the new fulton barrel I will sell cheap.
I haven't heard of a Cryogenic treatment , what is it and what does it do for the barrel ? Eddie
Old 04-12-2011, 11:25 AM

Default Cyro treatment

Cryogenic tempering is a process that reduces internal stresses in metal. Internal stresses are what causes barrels to bend when they get hot. The process involves gradually freezing the metal to 300F degrees below zero. Then over a 24+ hour period raising the temperature back to normal. They say it also hardens the surface. All I know is I tried it on a underwood barrel that would move 10 inches in a rapid fire string. It now moves about 1 inch in rapid and my groups shrank big time. I used this company cause they were the cheapest. www (dot) cryopro
I have no affiliation to this outfit.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 AM

8milimeter, Thanks for the explanation, I also sent you a e-mail about the Fulton Armory barrel. I'm at work now and won't be able to read your reply until I get home.