Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 AM

Default Shipping an M1 Carbine to California

I have a purchase interested in purchasing an M1 carbine I have for sale, and the purchaser lives in California. It is my understanding the purchaser does not have his C&R so I would be shipping to his dealer. Now I know there are many restrictions with selling to California and I just wanted to make sure everything is done on the up-and-up. Does anyone here have any experience with shipping a M1 carbine to California? From what I understand the only no-no is the 15 round magazine...

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-31-2011, 10:37 AM

Yes, 15 round Mags are not legal to sell or import into California. They are legal to have and use, if you had them prior to the ban, which I think was late 1990s. The safest way to do this is ship from your FFL to a California FFL- then it is all above board.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:39 AM

For the magazines if you can disassemble them they can be mailed directly to the purchaser as parts. They could then use them while out of state or block them so they only hold ten rounds or they could use them to repair existing, grandfathered magazines.

The M1 Carbine itself is legal in CA.

I believe there are some extra rules FFLs have to follow to ship into California - they're supposed to register with the state in some fashion - perhaps somebody else can elaborate on when that does and does not apply.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:14 AM

I live in California and Iljay is right about the mags. Just take them apart and there "Part kits" I have a few that I havn't put back together until I go out of state.

Also you can ship directly to his FFL, unless his FFL requires it to come from another FFL, then you would have to find a gun shop to ship to his. Then he has to fill out a billion pieces of paper and the gun gets put in jail for 10 days. Then he can take her hope. I did this with my 1919A4.

Oh God how I hate this state and can't wait to get my C&R license or just move out of this state.

http://m1family.com
The M1 Carbine dedicated forum!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:26 PM

NaughtyMonkey,
So if his FFL will accept from a non-FFL (I do have my C&R though), then I could send directly to his FFL and everything would be above the board? That would be ideal. I am actually not selling a mag, and am mostly interested in the firearm transfer.

Any further clarification is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:37 PM

FFL's shipping to CA have to get and send an approval letter from the DOJ's CFLC System. See link for more info:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview.php
Old 05-31-2011, 02:58 PM

Keving thanks for the link, I think this clears it up pretty well:

As of July 1, 2008, California Penal Code Section 12072(f)(1) [PDF 30 kb / 1 pg] prohibits all Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs), other than Type 03 or 06 FFLs, from shipping firearms to an FFL in California unless, prior to delivery, the FFL intending to deliver, sell or transfer the firearms obtains a verification approval number from the California Department of Justice (CADOJ) Bureau of Firearms. This includes transfers that occur at gun shows.

Looks to me that I should not have an issue sending to an FFL in CA assuming they have no trouble receiving from me.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:13 PM

Default Magazine law????

Please tell me how "they" would know if you had the magazines before or after the ban??? If the "parts kits" were assembled how would "they" know when, or where the magazines were aquired??? Are there magazine police in Kalifornia??? Do "they" check you at the gun range?? Are "they" waiting at all the state border crossings?? I'd really like to know how you Kalif guys think that "they" can enforce this hokey law, or any other of the myriad of goofy gun laws there are in Kal. How can "they" possibly know when you aquired somthing as simple as a gun magazine??? I really think you folks are enforcing yourselves.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:23 PM

Actually they sort of are waiting at the border crossings - they will occasionally arrest somebody coming back from a Reno gun show and charge them with importing a large capacity magazine (I think that's the way the law's worded). But yes, it's difficult to enforce and rarely is - last I heard there was only one conviction and it was an add-on to the charges they were actually interested in.