Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2011, 10:43 AM

Default National Rankings on CMP site

I was asked by a fellow competitor, and I realized that I didn't know the answer myself: How are the national rankings calculated for the Garand/Springfield/Vintage games? Is there a link available that explains it? There must be more to it than just your handicap, as I know people with a handicap good enough to show on the list, but they do not. Hopefully this is the correct sub-forum for this question. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:01 PM

....and that is a clasic "swing and a miss" with my first post. I'll presume that the flood of replies means that none of us really knows how those standings are caculated Hopefully if someone figures it out, they can school me.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:27 AM

i believe it is based of the handicap system...but I could be wrong.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:57 AM

In the CMP rules, see 5.9 National Ranking and Handicap System
http://odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf about page 20

Competitors are not ranked just on score fired in match. Rankings are adjusted for the level or importance of the match, I assume that shooting a top score at Perry is worth more than at the Eastern or Western Games which is worth more than a local 200yd Garand Match which is worth more than a 100yd reduced course. Shooting good scores in multiple matches is worth more than being a flash in a pan - shooting once a year and hammering out that one good score.

Only the CMP knows exactly how the handicap and ranking is calculated.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:46 AM

Thank you guys! I have reviewed the rules book several times, but I must have glazed over that section. The moral of the story is to shoot often at high profile events against good competition! Got it.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:38 AM

One of the local guys that shoots alot of local Garand matches and wins a few is on the list ( way down towards the bottom though ). He hasn't shot any of the big matches like Perry or W/games but he runs a solid score usually in the 470's.

What range do you shoot at Allen in E WA ?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 PM

I shoot at Spokane Rifle Club. The CMP Garand matches are new there and a little slow to catch on, but I suspect it grow.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Humphrey View Post
I shoot at Spokane Rifle Club. The CMP Garand matches are new there and a little slow to catch on, but I suspect it grow.
The highpower program took a hiatus the last few years. When you actually had to shoot in order to qualify to get a CMP Garand and than you could order another ontop of the one per year if you shot a Garand match we had excellent turnouts for the Garand Matches at SRC. Most of the people shooting the SRC Garand matches in the last few are the regular local HP shooters...

I'll make it to the July 17 Garand Match.

There is also a Garand match in Coeur d'alene July 10th at the rifle & pistol club on Atlas rd. It's a 100yd reduced 50 shot. Fun match and seems to always have a good turnout.

SRC also runs a wednsday afternoon HP 200yd practice, good practice for Garand matches.

Another good Garand oriented match is the " Korean War Memorial Match " at Rattlesnake range in the Tri-Cities. Not a CMP Games match but high Garand shooter XTC wins a silver medal. Pretty popular match but it is held during the winter so it can be very cold.

Yakima has a Garand match also at Moxie ?

Last edited by lite-box; 06-15-2011 at 03:55 AM.