Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2011, 04:29 PM

Default Alliant's New AR-Comp Powder Results

Just got back from the range and thought I'd share my findings of Alliant's new AR-Comp Powder.

Rifle: DPMS S.A.S.S., 18 Inch Barrel 1-10 twist.
Bullet: Hornady 168 Grain AMax

Range:100 Yards 5-Shot Groups.

First Group: 39.5 grains

Second Group: 40.0 Grains

Third Group: 40.5 Grains

Fourth Group: 41.0

Fifth Group: 41.5

I get some velocities that are pretty much on the pathetic side with the 18 inch barrel with the other powders. Average velocity with 41.5 grains of IMR-4064 is about 2430. However, with the same charge of AR-Comp I get about 2480. This is a guess because my chrono went screwy at 41.5, but with each .5 increment increase I got about a 40-50 fps increase.

So AR-Comp even gives me a much needed velocity boost.

My chosen charge is 41.5 grains. Here is an analysis of the chosen group:

I should note the little flyer was my fault. I whispered ,"Sh*t" when I shot it because I knew I screwed it up. So that said, the group would be even better if I did my part. But as it is, for an AR-10 platform I think this is a pretty damn good group.

I think I found my new favorite powder. In my opinion it shoots better than Varget, IMR4064, H4895, and RE-15. (At least it does for me) And it gave me a boost in velocity that it was supposed to do. So far I would say that it is living up to the hype. I would encourage you AR-10 Shooters to try it. Maybe it will work as well for you as it did me.

Last edited by elepro; 07-02-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:43 PM

Nice! Is this an extruded or ball propellant? I wonder what it will do in my PSS/LTR 20" bolt gun and my M1A NM. Certainly bears experimenting.
Thank You for sharing.
WMC
Old 07-04-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Duty-KTP View Post
Nice! Is this an extruded or ball propellant? I wonder what it will do in my PSS/LTR 20" bolt gun and my M1A NM. Certainly bears experimenting.
Thank You for sharing.
WMC
It is extruded, but the sticks are short like RE-15. In my opinion it still does not meter well out of my Dillon dispenser so I have to trickle in the exact amount by hand. However, in my opinion this stuff is the best powder I have shot out of my AR-10 platform to date. I certianly would encourage you to give it a try.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:49 PM

Interesting
Thanks for the Report
So is it Ball, Extruded, Stick Powder ??????