Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > 3-Position Air Rifle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 11:23 AM

Default Used Daisy 853 rifles. WOW!

I was planning to buy a new Daisy/Avanti 853 for around $290 so that my son and I could practice marksmanship in the back yard. Then I noticed the CMP used air rifle program with the same rifle reconditioned for $100. SO, I decided to buy 3 (basically the same price) and donate two to my son's NJROTC program.

They arrived well packed in eggshell foam with new slings, two butt spacers, new sight inserts and apparently NIB rear sights. The stocks had been belt sanded and rubbed with medium/dark oil.

I held them in amazement as bits of history that someone at the CMP had lovingly restored and put out into circulation for further use. I am honored to have received them.

I started out to refinish the one that I was going to keep and to my surprise, I found the grain to be tight, straight and very well laid out by the original stock maker. After several coats of true oil it looks amazing.

I was so pleased I decided to refinish all of them and I have one left to do. I found the second one has a light tiger stripe figure running the length of the stock with a light swirl grain on one side and straight grain on the other.

Please excuse the blurry cell phone pics.

I ordered Daisy 888 trigger guards to have adjustable trigger pull weight and I am polishing/cleaning the sears and hammers on all three.

I haven't approached the "Chief" yet, but I hope he will accept the rifles and put them to good use.

Conclusion:
Great job by the CMP. I couldn't be happier with the air rifles.

Check them out here: http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/rifles.htm Click on the Air Rifles tab and scroll down a bit.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:23 AM

jnespappa - good job! Out of curiousity how are the left sides of the receivers marked?

The sights, while boxed when delivered, are already used in my opinion...

Here's a pic of the first five shots at 10m (sitting, no sling/jacket, t-shirt and shorts, outdoors) out of one that I picked up from the SS a couple months ago - no adjustments, cleaning, or anything beyond adding the two stock inserts and just taking the sight out of the box (which was NOT on mechanical-zero for either windage or elevation) and locking it down - POA is the bottom of the center square, front sight already had a post insert installed when I picked out the rifle:

Next shot after coming up 30-clicks elevation, no windage adjustments:

I really love this rifle - it has become my favorite, almost-daily, practice tool. I wish the CMP would come up with a similar pistol offering...hint, hint

The above shots were done using some old Daisy Max Speed pellets that I had on hand - you should also look into the Vogel match pellets available from the CMP at a very fair price.

Last edited by lindylars; 07-09-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Added front sight post insert comment
Old 07-09-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindylars View Post
jnespappa - good job! Out of curiousity how are the left sides of the receivers marked?
Thanks!!

They are all marked U.S. AG ####### 1 853 (Does the US mean they were military issue?)
The right sides are marked Rogers, AR

I am sending the serial numbers off to Daisy for dating since one of them is a 3 digit serial number, in the upper 600s.

Quote:
The above shots were done using some old Daisy Max Speed pellets that I had on hand - you should also look into the Vogel match pellets available from the CMP at a very fair price.
Nice shooting. I will probably try Vogel on my next purchase. I am using RWS R10 Heavy match pellets right now and they are impressive.

I cleaned the barrels this morning using a bore snake and all three bores are still crisp and shiny.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnespappa View Post
They are all marked U.S. AG ####### 1 853 (Does the US mean they were military issue?)
The right sides are marked Rogers, AR

I am sending the serial numbers off to Daisy for dating since one of them is a 3 digit serial number, in the upper 600s.
Bingo - now a "good job" done WELL!

Look on the E-Store for target options if you want to get more "official" with your practice. Archer's also has some nice silent pellet traps.

Best wishes and good shooting to you and your future distinguished son
Old 07-11-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Bingo - now a "good job" done WELL!

Look on the E-Store for target options if you want to get more "official" with your practice. Archer's also has some nice silent pellet traps.

Best wishes and good shooting to you and your future distinguished son
Thanks!!

I received the new trigger guards and a few replacement triggers from Daisy on Saturday. Great service from them, BTW. Below is the new trigger guard with adjustment screw.

After doing the "Pilk Guns" trigger mod, the trigger pull is now MUCH improved, more crisp, more repeatable and with reduced over-travel. A caution from my experience with the noted mod. I cut the first trigger to match the Pilk Guns tutorial as best as I could. Reassembled and I could "fire" the rifle even with the safety on. Glad I order extra triggers. I cut the second one more conservatively and it is securely blocked when in "safe" mode.

Two down, one to go:

Prior to the trigger mods, I got my hands on some NRA AR5-10 targets and set up at 10 meters in the back yard with a plywood (temporary) backstop. I shot two 88s and an 89 from prone, with sling, sweatshirt, and glove. Now that the trigger mods are done I will try a few more targets for comparison and post the results.

Last edited by jnespappa; 07-11-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:55 PM

I was fondling these when I was down there on Monday and after reading your reviews, I'm kind of regretting not picking one up. I think I'll be ordering one soon...
Old 07-16-2011, 09:59 PM

Two down one to go...Very nice. You do good work...
Old 08-24-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks!!

I received the new trigger guards and a few replacement triggers from Daisy on Saturday. Great service from them, BTW. Below is the new trigger guard with adjustment screw.

After doing the "Pilk Guns" trigger mod, the trigger pull is now MUCH improved, more crisp, more repeatable and with reduced over-travel. A caution from my experience with the noted mod. I cut the first trigger to match the Pilk Guns tutorial as best as I could. Reassembled and I could "fire" the rifle even with the safety on. Glad I order extra triggers. I cut the second one more conservatively and it is securely blocked when in "safe" mode.

Two down, one to go:

Prior to the trigger mods, I got my hands on some NRA AR5-10 targets and set up at 10 meters in the back yard with a plywood (temporary) backstop. I shot two 88s and an 89 from prone, with sling, sweatshirt, and glove. Now that the trigger mods are done I will try a few more targets for comparison and post the results.
Those look great. I just ordered one for my grand daughter today. What did you use to strip the stocks? Also where did you order the trigger guards from, I cannot find any parts available?

thanks
Alby
Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby View Post
Those look great. I just ordered one for my grand daughter today. What did you use to strip the stocks? Also where did you order the trigger guards from, I cannot find any parts available?

thanks
Alby
Thanks! Good for you on the purchase for your grand daughter. I bet she'll be tickled pink.

I actually just sanded the stocks down with a random orbit sander and some hand sanding with a foam sanding block. Started with 120 and followed with 220. Five or six loving coats of Tru Oil and we were done.

I ordered the parts straight from Daisy (800) 643-3458. You want the Model 888 Trigger Housing (Part no. 888-13) since it has the screw hole already installed and you probably should order a spare Model 853 trigger assembly (Part no. 853-20). I also order the Model 888 screw assortment (not sure of part no), but the operator was very friendly and helpful. That way I knew I would have the trigger pull adjustment screw.

I ordered 4 sets of these things and with shipping I think it was around $25 or so. Parts arrived a few days later. Great service on great products at great prices....seems to explain Daisy's longevity.

The users manual is found at: http://daisy.com/_manuals/853_series_english.pdf

The instructions for the "pilk guns" modification are found at: http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/default.htm

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I actually just sanded the stocks down with a random orbit sander and some hand sanding with a foam sanding block. Started with 120 and followed with 220. Five or six loving coats of Tru Oil and we were done.

I ordered the parts straight from Daisy (800) 643-3458. You want the Model 888 Trigger Housing (Part no. 888-13) since it has the screw hole already installed and you probably should order a spare Model 853 trigger assembly (Part no. 853-20). I also order the Model 888 screw assortment (not sure of part no), but the operator was very friendly and helpful. That way I knew I would have the trigger pull adjustment screw.
Thank you for the info! I will stay away from the orbit sander, I tend to get carried away, but will try a hand sanding with foam pads if it needs a refinish. Glad you mentioned the screw assortment as I would have thought the screw would have came with the housing. This will be fun for her to practice with, she is 5 and still needs some help, but I am not sure who enjoys our time more me or her. We have been going to the range with the same 22 rifle that I learned to shoot on many years ago!