Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2011, 08:04 PM

Default CMP Special Grade Garand

I have been reading about the CMP Special Grade Garand (RM1SPECIAL) on this webpage. There are strong opinions for and against it. I am considering getting one for my next buy.

I already have a pretty good mixmaster Service Grade from the CMP (and also one of the last M1 Carbines they offered). The first time I shot the Garand I got a 225 at a J.C. Garand shoot. The next time it was 259 (I practiced dry firing at a dot on the opposite wall of the basement). I would like to get the best one possible for shooting -- to see what score I could get with a new barrel.

The only thing that bothers me is the statement by one person on this forum. He said that the Special Grades were Rack Grade rifles that were reparkerized over pitting, the barrel replaced with a so-so new one, and the stock replaced with ill fitting new ones.

How much truth is there to this claim? I would like to hear from people who actually have a RM1SPECIAL, not from people who DON'T have one, trying to talk me into a different grade. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:37 PM

Harry, none of that is true. Specials start with collector grade metal with a new barrel and brand new stock. All of this is in the discription portion of the sales page for the garands.The specials are a very good value IMHO. paul
Old 07-23-2011, 08:47 PM

Mine is a ww2 receiver with a lead dipped heel, which I think is cool, and a nice milled trigger group.
It looks like new and is an excellent shooter.

I imagine it was rack grade before rebuild, but sure looks good now, with all parts in excellent shape.

Last edited by garryb; 07-23-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preaction View Post
Harry, none of that is true. Specials start with collector grade metal with a new barrel and brand new stock. All of this is in the discription portion of the sales page for the garands.The specials are a very good value IMHO. paul
Preaction is correct. These a great rifles for shooting casual or JC Garand matches. You are starting with a new barrel and have the best of both worlds with a brand new stock.

The only drawback would be for hard core collectors. With the aftermarket stock set it is (at least at this time) not considered collectable. That could change in the future when the CMP runs out of the collector metal to build them.

Go for it. You should be able to increase your scores with the "Special" depending on your dedication to the fine tuning of your shooting skills.

AB

I stand corrected!!!!! I see that some types of "Specials" are newly refinished receivers with new production barrels. Either type will give you the equipment to improve your scores.
Thanks AlReiter for pointing that out.......

Last edited by Amish Bob; 07-23-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by preaction View Post
Depends on which Special Grade the OP is referring to:

CMP SPECIAL: (Excellent)

CMP's new grade of M1 Garand. This rifle consists of a new production stock and handguard set with CMP cartouche, a new production barrel and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. See item for details

M1 Garand, Springfield Special
Allow 30-60 days for delivery.
M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. New production stock and handguard set with CMP cartouche, a new production barrel and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture.

Service Grade Specials:

M1 Garand, Service Grade HRA (Harrington & Richardson) Special.
Allow 30-60 days for delivery.
HRA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture. NOT original HRA manufacture.

OR:

M1 Garand, Service Grade Springfield Special.
allow 30-60 days for delivery.
SA collector grade metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks and handguards and associated hardware are new manufacture. NOT original SA manufacture.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:59 PM

The Specials are nice - here are a few facts:

The receivers are from other rifles that may not have passed inspection for some reason or another but were good candidates to be rebuilt into nice rifles. The other components may be new or new old stock or parts that were in pretty good shape from rifles that did not pass inspection. During a visit to the South Store I looked at several of the Specials and most looked great with no problems; however, a few had a couple of parts that had pitting that was parked over. One I noticed had some parked over pitting on the receiver - although very minor. A couple had some parked over pitting on the clip latch.

Just to be clear, I am very OCD and notice things that most do not - none were bad at all and unless you were obsessively looking these things over, you might not even notice. The barrels are very nice new barrels and the stocks seemed to be nicer than the ones on the Service Grade Specials - more figure and overall nicer grain. You might have to do some stock adjustments to get maximum potential out of one of these stocks, but that is also true of a lot of USGI stocks. Remember - these are battle rifles, and most of us are chasing accuracy potential that is there, but expect to do very minor tweaking to get it.

I ultimately decided to go with a Service Grade Special and use the $100 savings for some ammo - I don't regret my decision. I has a few "character" marks, but looks like it was only test fired at best and the barrel gauges right at 0 on MW. The plus side of most of the Special over the Service Grade Specials is that most of the Specials have earlier, sometimes WWII serial number ranges -so that is kind of neat. What ever you decide, you should be happy with it - these are super nice rifles.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:05 PM

My son and I bought specials because we wanted a good garand without buying a rifle that should be a safe queen and not shot. We recieved WWII recievers and basically a collector grade rifle with a brand new barrel on it. We shoot the snot out of them knowing we are not destroying a garand that others would be proud to show someone but wouldn't shoot. Our specials are accurate and have had none of the "problems" that people have been posting about. I am not saying they are not having problems, just we have had no problems with ours. I believe if you are willing to spend the extra money, you will recieve a basically new 60+ year old rifle. Leave the collector grades for the collectors. As a side thought, both our rifles came with walnut that would bring tears to a cabinet makers eyes and are well fitted with no rubbing problems or moving impact problems. Good luck with your choice, I would buy another special the minute I have the money for it. JW
Old 07-23-2011, 10:10 PM

May the CMP or Service Grade Special require some tweaking? Maybe, but they are a very fine shooter. If you're not a collector, most of us are not, then get the best shooter money can buy. Customer Service is outstanding and the only thing required is a passion to shoot.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:43 AM

I first purchased a " correct grade" M1. The metal was perfect and the stock had some love marks. The problem was could not bring myself to shoot the rifle just felt guilty. So I ordered the "special grade" new bbl & stock. I love it no problems and shoot a lot with the caldwell sled my 78 yr old shoulder just cannot take the beating.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleu View Post
I first purchased a " correct grade" M1. The metal was perfect and the stock had some love marks. The problem was could not bring myself to shoot the rifle just felt guilty. So I ordered the "special grade" new bbl & stock. I love it no problems and shoot a lot with the caldwell sled my 78 yr old shoulder just cannot take the beating.
I was going to get the special grade as it was a great deal and would be as good as getting a new one to me. But ended up getting a great deal on something else other wise it was what I was going to do
The Correct grade I got was the same mint metal almost new looking in every way but the wood stock has a few marks most by the trigger housing on both sides other than that it is at first look a new gun with USGI wood
I have no problem not saving it as it and shooting as it was intended to do
http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/e...view=slideshow

Next one I get will be an HRA special

Last edited by 340six; 07-24-2011 at 12:13 PM.