Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2011, 01:02 PM

Default How to rebarrel? Worth doing it yourself or paying someone else?

I have the following rifles that could use a new barrel. I was thinking of ordering the availables barrels via CMP, but what would be involved if I wanted to do it myself? I only have the Go and No Go Gauges for each caliber. If you think it would be cheaper in the long run to do myself, what tools will I need? Or would it be cheaper to ship to someone to perform? I am located in Gilbert AZ and would appreciate any suggestions. Also are there any good books showing how to do this with what tools would be needed and post installation inspections to perform to know you did this safely before shooting? Thank you!
-M1898 Krag Rifle
-N1898 Krag Carbine
-M1903
-M1917
-M1 Garand
-M1 Carbine
-K98
-#4 MK1 Enfield
-#1 MK3 Enfield

Last edited by airforceshooter; 07-24-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:16 PM

You need a way to hold barrels and actions and turn them up accurately. It's possible to cobble up something that will work a time or two. You also need chambering reamers, which can be rented.

Check out DBI books for several general gunsmithing guides.

If it were me, I'd get a gunsmith to do them, but I'm lazy and rather clumsy.
Satisfied shooter of low-number Springfields
Not on the payroll of any arms or ammunition companies
Old 07-24-2011, 02:48 PM

your better off having someone do it for you, as far as the least money spent. a pull through reamer set up is 160 to 200 bucks for a Garand, and you still need a barrel vice and an action wrench. the tools can be pricey. most folks rebarrel a rifle for 80 to 150. (labor) I bought all the stuff to do Garands / 03's, not to save money I just wanted to do it all myself.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:21 PM

I bought a wrench, vice, and chamber reamer because I had at least one Garand and 2 03A3s that needed barrel installation, and plans to do more down the road. If I was only doing a couple guns, I probably would have farmed it out to a gunsmith, but the breakeven point is probably around 3-5 guns...if you're doing any more than that, it's cheaper to get the equipment and DIY.

Also, the satisfaction of learning to do it, and of having a rifle you built yourself is priceless.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78jeep View Post
your better off having someone do it for you, as far as the least money spent. a pull through reamer set up is 160 to 200 bucks for a Garand, and you still need a barrel vice and an action wrench. the tools can be pricey. most folks rebarrel a rifle for 80 to 150. (labor) I bought all the stuff to do Garands / 03's, not to save money I just wanted to do it all myself.
Absolutely no reason to buy the reamers. Google "reamer rental" and you'll find a few companies. I've used them and the price is right.

The problem with service rifles is the timing of the barrel. It has to be tight to the receiver at the perfect point that the iron sights (or the splines on the Garand) are at 12 o'clock. That can require a lathe to get it right.

Since the CMP barrels are short chambered, gunsmiths with all the right tools can do the job quickly and accurately.

If you want to have fun being the garage gunsmith, buy a mauser 98 and short chambered barrels from Midway or Brownells. All you'll need is a barrel wrench, vise, rent the chamber reamer and the go-no go gauges. You can give the US military guns a try, but it is a lot more involved than it seems at first.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:06 PM

I've heard the term reaming before... Is that for all rifles after new barrels are installed and what is it?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:39 PM

Reaming a "short chamber" barrel is when you cut out the final dimension of the chamber with a cutting tool (a reamer) so the the bullet casing will fit properly into the chamber--not too deep and not too short.

Break even point for me was 5 rifles by me vs. a gunsmith when I calculated the cost of buying everything. I still have 9 to go
Old 07-24-2011, 11:39 PM

I have done dozens of garands, but that's all. What rifles are easier and which are difficult?
Old 07-25-2011, 01:02 AM

Having done several Garands, and quite a few Mausers, I think that Garands are a bit easier. In that since there were fewer makers of the receivers, and the receivers were held to tighter tolerences, timing them is easier than installing a barrel on a Mauser. I may not have to take metal off the barrel shoulder to get it to time, but I will definately have to do that to a Mauser meaning I will need a lathe.
The Mauser is one of the easiest bolt actions(if not the easiest) to install a barrel on. Since the breech end is not counter bored/safety breeched (like a Remington 700/Savage 110) or cone shaped(Springfield 1903s/Winchesters) installation requires less work. But usually still needs a lathe.
A pull through reamer can be used on a Mauser just like one can be used on a Garand/M14/M1 Carbine making headspacing fairly easy.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:48 AM

I think you will have difficulty finding barrels for the British rifles and IMO the Krags are a major PITA since the Criterions lack finish and sight bases. Do you really have gauges for .303 ?? I suggest starting with the 30-06 US rifles, although the 1903 presents some problems compareed to the A3--depending on whether you use a NOS or Criterion barrel. IMO, you should start by attending some CMP GSV or mil rifle matches and ask around. There are many shooters who have the tools and ability to help you. Good Shooting........