Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2011, 04:39 PM

Default Building a gun rack

As most of you out there are gun people, you will recognize the problem I have: a safe too small for what I have, a wallet and house too small for what I want. Very simple problem. Maybe not even a problem. Now ain't it always the gun in the back of the safe that you want to take out ? So I have to start unloading from the front. That means I have to start finding places to put them. Lie them across furniture. Stand them up next to the door. On the kitchen table. The family doesn't like walking around and over this stuff.

So I thought that a simple solution would be to build a gun rack to stand the stuff up in while I play, inspect, clean, etc. After researching the web a bit and multiple catalogs, I could either buy a rack for 100 bucks plus shipping etc. or use some designs and put it together myself. I did the latter and modified it a bit. My requirements were the following:

1. Hold at least 10 long guns in the least amount of space (final was 11 guns in 36 inch wide rack)
2. Have the least amount of jig saw cuts etc (I don't do well with that)
3. Be as modular as possible (so if I messed up or had different requirements I could change it easily)
4. Use square drive screws for all attachments.

So as I said I modified some plans I found, thought about it forever, and drew out what I had come up with. Then I took 6 months off to recuperate from the mental effort. About a month ago I started to purchase the wood at Home Depot and local lumber yard. Nothing crazy odd, just pine, poplar and oak. I like hardwoods better than pine. Stained it all and polyurethaned it. Here are some photos of the process and end result.

Here are two pictures of all the component pieces stained and polyed.
From left to right they are: bottom platform where the buttplates rest. Top platform where the 3rd from left item is screwed into. This has dowels to separate the barrels. Next item is a brace which will be to the rear of the bottom platform just above it. Finally the two sides of the rack.

These two are a rear and front kickplate on the bottom platform. I've decided since to not use the item on the left or rear kickplate as the brace serves this function.

Here is the final product - long guns not included
Notice the use of the dowels to separate the barrels ! This got me out of doing the jig saw big hole cut. Also is a unique feature. I have some nice kelly green stiff felt I picked up at the arts and crafts store which I'll use on the bottom platform (not shown here).

I would be interested in anyone else's adventure in this kind of wood wonderland. I had to remember wood shop lessons from 50 years ago LOL.

Last edited by 1776 rebel; 11-16-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:56 PM

That is sharp. I like it.

I need something to do the same. I will copy some of your design.

Thanks for posting.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:16 PM

My project last Fall.

Old storage cabinet from I think a day care.

Took out all the shelfs except to bottom.

With some guns last year.

These guns are now in a large Stackon safe, only use this cabinet for work in progress. Both overflowing.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:35 PM

Kansas, very nice...I'll keep that idea in mind. I am a scrounger by nature and if I see anyone tossing out a cabinet like that I may just pick it up !

BTW, if you need the dimensions on the gun rack don't hesitate to ask.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:14 PM

I have a small walkin closet I am needing to put gun racks in and found this website which seems to have good products and designs
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRacks02.htm#VB
Old 08-22-2011, 04:19 PM

Wink

Lessee . . .

I need a rack for 33, er . . . 34, no, wait . . . I think it's 35 carbines.
And then there's the three Garands. And three Arisakas. Uh, three Mausers, a Carcano, a Swedish Mauser, a .303 Brit, two 1917 Springfields, three shotguns, four 22's, a 44-40 lever action . . .
Then there's the partridge in the pear tree . . .
AArrrgggghhhhh!!!

I'm fine. Really . . .

Just need one or two more carbines for the collection . . .
Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt323 View Post
Lessee . . .

Just need one or two more carbines for the collection . . .
LOL...you have the disease no doubt ... think you might be needing this from the Springfield Armory in Mass...a Musket Organ.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:32 PM

I once saw a "Dresser" or "Chest of Drawers" that had been turned into a covert rifle rack. Entire front opened up like a door. Was very cool.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickyD View Post
I have a small walkin closet I am needing to put gun racks in and found this website which seems to have good products and designs
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRacks02.htm#VB

Thanks a million for the link for pre made racks, I have a large project and need those.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:18 PM

Thanks for posting this, and for the great information added by all. I started organizing my hobby room ("hobby room" to the better half, "gun room" to my fellow addicts..."War Room" is a little much until I get a little more loot), built a large workbench, but was looking for a good plan for a gun rack to add to it; there's enough good ideas here to come up with something.

My collection resides in a pair of large safes, bolted to the floor and wired to an alarm, but I do need something to hold the rifles I'm working on/sorting through. I also plan on adding undercabinet lighting, a nicer countertop (either painted, laminate, or I might use carpet remnants...haven't decided yet), and I have to mount my reloading presses somewhere.

The plans on the CMP page were a good start, but seems to be designed more for a retail display than efficient storage...the information here has some great ideas to incorporate.

This is the new workbench, which butts up to an older Craftsman workbench I used to reload on:

This is the spot I need a gun rack for. It's about 4' of countertop, against the wall...I figure I should be able to hold 12 guns easily, maybe a few more if it's done efficiently:

Don't mind the mess, it's still only about 2/3 done, and I haven't even begun to really organize everything.