Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2011, 12:09 AM

Default M1C Scope & mounts

I recently purchased an M1C form the CMP. Now that I have one I need to learn more about the Scope and Mounts. I have found these items on Gun Broker which says to be an M81 with mount and one which is a Killmorgan USMC. Does both fit a standard M1C or is there a difference between mounts. I assume both scopes are 7/8" tube.

I have also seen scopes and mounts on eBay, one is stated to be an M81 Scope with mount of which both have some pitting, there is also one which looks to be a M81 but does not indicate that it is and looks to be a reproduction. How important is it in collectablety if you use items that look to be correct but may not be genuine GI. Is it better to use an original part, even in fare to poor condition, or go with a reproduction in very good condition?

What is the best way to tell the real thing from a fake?

Thanks

Mike M1C
Old 09-13-2011, 12:19 AM

If you want to simply put together a "shooter" M1C type, then using a repro scope and mount would be ok. But if you are trying to restore your CMP M1C rifle, then stick to GI parts for the restoration. While it will never, of course, be an "original" or genuine M1C with proper serialed mount etc, it would still be worth far more than any repro part rifle.

By the way, the Kollmorgen was a 4X. 1 inch scope (unlike the 2 3/4 power, 7/8 inch M81-M84 scopes usuallly found on garand sniper rifles). It was used by the Marine Corps in a limited number of M1C rifles, and requires a special, "long" G&H ring/mount.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:33 AM

Default opinion on having parts reconditioned

Thanks for the info you posted. I am more interested in restoring the M1 C as a collector rather than a shooter, I have a 1955 birth date when i want to shoot.

What is your opinion of having parts like the Scope and Mount reconditioned, does this have much of an effect on the value? As i posted i have found one which has some ware and pitting on the scope and mount.

Thanks

Mike M1 C

Last edited by Mike M1C; 09-13-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:49 PM

Hey Mike,
I would stick to USGI parts then. A real mount right now will run you $1500 or more thanks to the crazy and an M82 scope are around $1200 plus depending on condition. Original mounts are a parked finish with a serial stamped into the back of the base and have 7/8" rings. The new production are a blued finish with 1 inch ring and not serial numbers. The USMC mount is a rare 1 inch mount specifically designed for the Marine snipers to use the 4 x Kollmorgen Scope. To save money you can use a regular Alaskan until you can find reasonable priced M82. On restoring worn parts depending on the severity I would maybe have the scope rebuilt but probably not have the mount reparked unless its rusting.