Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 07:39 PM

Default M1903 or M1903A3

So which is more desirable / rare / collectable / valuable - M1903 or M1903A3?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:40 PM

A pristine, original M1903 is worth far more than a M1903A3 in similar condition. Most people like the M1903A3 rear sight for shooting, though.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:45 PM

Agreed. The original 1903s are older, therefore more collectible. IMO those produced during WWI are the most desireable.

1903A3s on the other hand are not quite as old. But ALL A3s were produced during wartime which cannot be said about regular 03s.

Last but not least, ladder sights are absolute garbage. I guess I'm just a spoiled youngster trained to use M16A2 sights, but the peep sights are far better on an A3. If you're going to be doing heavy shooting, definitely go for the A3.

Case in point, I have an Mk1 03 springfield and I love it but shooting it is a pain. I bought it primarily for the historical appeal of it.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 PM

What about non pristine average finish typical 03 vs 03A3 value? I still think an 03 might be worth a little more. At least worth more in parts.

Rare? What are the production numbers? How many do you think percentage wise are left? I have no idea here. Interested in this my self. Need to look up how many of each were made.

As far as shooters, yeah the A3 has the better sight radius. I do greatly prefer looking at 03s over anything else including Garands.

Last edited by Jim-in-KS; 10-18-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-18-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army GI View Post

Last but not least, ladder sights are absolute garbage.
They take some time to get used to. A throwback to a by-gone era with a 500 yard zero. I would not call them garbage, the A3 sights are better acclimated to shooting by far. A3 looks very unbalanced, while a 1903 is much more appealing aesthetically to this owner of both.
There were many marksman that excelled with the M1905 sight for decades before the M1/M14/M16 type sight.

To the OP, a 1903 will hold its value since it was a long serving battle rifle through two world wars and many other engagements. The 1903A3 will always be a "Ersatz" redheaded stepchild to the real 1903 Springfield.

Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 10-18-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-in-KS View Post
What about non pristine average finish typical 03 vs 03A3 value? I still think an 03 might be worth a little more. At least worth more in parts.

Rare? What are the production numbers? How many do you think percentage wise are left? I have no idea here. Interested in this my self. Need to look up how many of each were made.

As far as shooters, yeah the A3 has the better sight radius. I do greatly prefer looking at 03s over anything else including Garands.
This is purely my opinion, but I would guess that the "shooter" M1903 is worth a little more than a similar-condition M1903A3, but "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Production numbers are this (these are VERY rough figures!)

Rock Island M1903 - @ 400,000 (I figuring a WAG about the receivers that might have been scrapped or lost)

Springfield: Possibly 1,200,000 (figuring as with RIA)

Remington: 340,000 M1903s, 700,000+ M1903A3s

Smith Corona: 234,000

In my humble opinion, the M1903 from pre-WWI is the best-looking military rifle ever made in the United States. However, if I was in a combat situation and needed a full-sized "battle rifle", I would choose an M1 or M14, or an M1903A3, for a bolt rifle.

Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 10-18-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
The 1903A3 will always be a "Ersatz" redheaded stepchild to the real 1903 Springfield.
Those are close to fighting words these days, but back when the hobby was in it's infancy the above statement was how the A3 was looked upon.
Just a war expedited (cheaper made) version of the 1903.
Time has a way of changing things though.

jon

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Those are close to fighting words these days, but back when the hobby was in it's infancy the above statement was how the A3 was looked upon.
Just a war expedited (cheaper made) version of the 1903.
Time has a way of changing things though.

jon
I know, I know....self admitted jab at the A3 fans.

The 1903a3 is a refinement, or war expedience that made it a easier shooting rifle...but not a prettier one. No arguments from me on either count. We can call it a USGI version of a Lyman/Redfield sight.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:23 PM

i've always thought the '03 was a prettier rifle than the 03A3.

That being said, I'm excited to have both en route to me!!

One of them is a Remington 1903. Is that more collectible even though it is a WWII rifle since there were only 340K made (quoting Rick's numbers above)?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 PM

Not really, unless the rifle is in original condition. As the Remingtons went through about 25 years less "history", a lot more of them (speaking as a percentage) survived.