Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2011, 03:45 PM

Default Marlin Model 99-M1

Anyone have any experience with these little .22s? They are kind of cool looking. Look as they were styled after the M-1 Carbine.

CMP Match Chairman

NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman

Indoor Small Bore Rifle Chairman

Chief Range Officer
Old 11-11-2011, 03:48 PM

No first hand experience but a lot of folks over at Rimfire Central covet them.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:56 PM

I got mine as a teenager in the late 70s and I still have it. It was the first firearm I ever bought. It was in near mint condition until I was transfered to Germany in 1990 and the movers broke the stock in half. Marlin no longer carried the stock so I switched to a model 60 stock that was not compatible with the handguard. It still shoots fine, but no longer has the sex appeal of what it looked like in the model 99 stock.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:42 PM

Marlin no longer carried the stock so I switched to a model 60 stock that was not compatible with the handguard. It still shoots fine, but no longer has the sex appeal of what it looked like in the model 99 stock.[/QUOTE]

Numrich lists a stock for the 99M-1, described as Modified New Style (Pre 1975) @ $59.70. You might also try Bob's Gun Shop (www.gun-parts.com).
Old 11-11-2011, 05:39 PM

I bought one used in the mid-'80s. I think I paid $20 or $25 for it. I shoot it all the time. It's surprisingly accurate.

A few years ago the nylon bolt buffer disintegrated, putting the rifle out of action. I ordered a new one from Marlin for a couple of bucks. Back in business.

It's had many thousands of rounds through it. My wife likes it because it's so light.

Marlin has made millions of rifles sharing this basic mechanism. I think they are better buys than the 10/22. Mine is certainly more accurate than most 10/22s I have fired.
Satisfied shooter of low-number Springfields
Not on the payroll of any arms or ammunition companies
Old 11-11-2011, 07:15 PM

Sounds like I've gotta have the one I found if I can come to a $$ agreement They aren't selling for $20 anymore

CMP Match Chairman

NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman

Indoor Small Bore Rifle Chairman

Chief Range Officer
Old 11-11-2011, 11:22 PM

I've got one that a buddy gave me several years ago. I've shot it a few times. He kept it by his back door for shooting crows. He poped the neighbor's cat one day and decided that he didn't need it around any more. The fellow passed away afew years ago...................
Old 11-12-2011, 09:18 AM

I bought one from K Mart in Bellevue, WN in 1970. Was a display guy with a long scratch down the stock. Think I paid 40 bucks for it. Nice little gun. Basically a Model 60 modified. Sold it thru my gunsmith last year. Brought 175 dollars. It did have the original buffer crack into small pieces but was a easy item to replace.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolarco View Post
A few years ago the nylon bolt buffer disintegrated, putting the rifle out of action.
I had one back in the 60's; After many thousands of rounds, the buffer disintegrated, and I made a replacement out of red oak, faced with a piece of thick felt. Worked like a champ, and lasted many more thousand rounds.

I not longer have it; I think I traded it in on a Remington 700 BDL .222 varminter around 1969. I wish I still had THAT one, too ...

Resp'y,
Bob S.

"It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!"
Old 11-12-2011, 09:05 PM

I had one when I was a kid and shot the heck out of it. The plastic buffer at the rear eventually fell apart but a replacement was easily obtained from the local gun smith. I much prefer the Marlin the the Ruger 10-22.