Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011, 05:10 PM

Default Current production rear sights

What current production rear sight will fit on the H&R m12 rear sight base designed for the Redfield Palma, International, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBT_ENG View Post
What current production rear sight will fit on the H&R m12 rear sight base designed for the Redfield Palma, International, etc?
You could drill out the hole for the mount screw on either the Williams Target Foolproof or the Lyman 90 MJT and substitute the mount screw from one of the large format sights.

You could redrill your base for the 8-40 screw the above sights use.

Beyond that you get into limited production custom sights like the Zelenak. Bring $$$.

I remain, as ever, a legend in my own mind . . .

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .
Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 AM

You have lots of optiions, you just may not like the price.
First the Lyman and Williams sights will work but you will have to accept limited windage adjustment. The sight mount plate it massive like all things M12 and the above sights sure could use another 1/4" of travel in windage.
If you could find a Redfield to Anschutz mount Gehmann makes an excellent compact sight for $150. It's the mount thats the challenge here.
REG (www.wssg.net) PNW, Centra, (www.champchoice.com)
Warner Tool (www.warner-tool.com) all have sights that will do the job to perfection, at a price. REG once offered an E1 sight for $200 but doesn't list it anymore.
OK, now for a bit of perspective. Even the most expensive of these sights fall within the mid-price range of riflescopes. There's a lot of $700+ riflescopes out there and somebody's buying them.
Good sights are a good investment.

Here's another option.
Leatherwood (www.leatherwoodoptics.com) makes 2 scopes which will fit the Unertl style scope blocks. One is 3X and is about 17" long. MidwayUSA is asking $259. Also there's a 6X that's 18" and goes for $279. Leatherwood is also going to market a repro Unertl 8X called the USMC Sniper. Should be on the market in a few months and sell for $579.

Welcome to the world of fine target rifles. It could be worse. I have a Remington Model 37 and magazines for this rifle, when they can be found, can reach $200. Buddy, buddy, buddy.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten
Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by presidentg View Post
Here's another option.
Leatherwood (www.leatherwoodoptics.com) makes 2 scopes which will fit the Unertl style scope blocks. One is 3X and is about 17" long. MidwayUSA is asking $259. Also there's a 6X that's 18" and goes for $279. Leatherwood is also going to market a repro Unertl 8X called the USMC Sniper. Should be on the market in a few months and sell for $579.
IMO you'd be wise to wait for the USMC Sniper scope if Leatherwood is the way you elect to go. It seems that almost everyone who buys the 3X or 6X scope is dissatisfied with the mounts. The complaints are that they're crude, won't repeat easily and are flimsy. The best answer most have found is upgrading to Unertl mounts at some expense.

That's why I say wait for the USMC Sniper scope; buy once and get what works the first time.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:13 PM

+1
If you buy quality gear you only pay for it once.

If you buy junk you pay for it every time you (try to) use it.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:10 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I am now pointed in the right direction.